Overheating problem

J_dawg516

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey with the 4 cyl motor. I replaced the radiator hoses last week due to a leak. My family and I drove up to Minnesota this past weekend and had no problems on the way up but on the way back I noticed the coolant temp start to climb. If I turned the heat on the coolant temp would drop back to normal operating temp but if I shut the heat off the coolant temp would begin to start climbing up. Any help would be great, thank you.

Where was the location of leak, right side of engine.? The coolant manifold on side of engine can be a pain, had to replace it on daughter in laws 2012 four cylinder. It has both the cabin and engine thermostat mounted in the assembly. 

Engine one might be sticking a bit and causing higher engine temps.  Cabin heat diverts enough heat so you aren’t boiling over.

Lots of things to leak on this assembly ,  flange o rings should be replaced while in there. Some people change the whole assembly, ends up being cheaper. Make sure to use compatible glycol, early Journey used diffferent stuff.

Edited by John/Horace

8 hours ago, luzmina said:

Replace both thermostat and drain the coolant (use the screw at the bottom of the radiator to drain it) and replace it with new coolant, you can use the one that is compatible with all coolants.

amazon has mopar ready mix coolant for around 14. and concentrate for 26. i just ordered a gallon of the ready mix to have on hand as the local part stores only sell the aftermarket coolant and i have heard to only use the mopar oat brand