2014 2.4 Won’t start randomly

Hi.
I have a 2014 2.4L Journey that won’t start randomly.

I have running with an issue with the fuel level sensor, it’s broken and I have the code for that  issue on the scanner but it was working just fine despite marking empty fuel all the time.

However a couple of days ago I went to work and back home normally, but in the evening it did not start, next day did not start at all, yesterday it start normally like 10 times that I try. Today I came to work but now it doesn’t start anymore again, there’s a click sound but other than that nothing.

My battery voltage is 12.7, and my fuses are ok. We tried jump starting but it didn’t work either.

When the car starts it work just flawless, no sounds or jumps or anything. Can it be related to the fuel level sensor?. The scanner shows no other code apart from the fuel sensor being high.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the site. How many miles/kilometres on vehicle. Click with no start and proper battery volatage (12.7) would usually be a starter issue. Jump starting with cables shows it’s probably not your battery.

Could try to confirm with a multi meter. When key is turned all the way to engage starter, the small wire at the starter should have battery voltage signal that is sent by the key switch.  Could even confirm that with 12 volt test light.  The click sound probably means the starter is getting this signal and solenoid on starter is worn. 
If light tap on starter with mallet makes it work a few more times,  another sign it’s bad contacts inside solenoid on starter.  So new or rebuilt starter assembly needed.

Edited by John/Horace

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

My Journey is close to 85k kilometers. 

We think that is not baterry because all the electric things works just fine, head lights, radio, horn, dash cam and we also try to jump start it with cables and didn’t work. Also checking with both scanner and multimeter shows on stand by around 12.7 and with engine running (when it starts ?) around 12.3-12.4.

The test on the key I cannot do it because the start is with button and the wireless key fob, so I press the brake and the button and starts. In this case I press it and just hear a click (when the door is open, otherwise its not that loud to hear it from inside the cockpit) and the engine don’t turn on, and the check engine light flashes a couple times on the dashboard. It’s like when I press the run button but without pressing the brakes plus the check engine flashing.

I scanned it when it did this but my scanner only shows, as I mentioned before the Fuel Level sensor issue.

I tried to start it again a few minutes ago, first with no luck, but after a couple of tries it started just fine, so I am confused.

There are a few safety switches that need to work for car to turn over and engine to actually run.

Next no start (turn over) try putting car in neutral and see if it starts. Transmission range selector switch when in park or neutral provides a ground for the starter relay to engage.

A bad starter solenoid can be intermittent. Sometimes working and other times not. Worn internal  contacts  and springs.  The starter relay under hood can be manually jumpered with a piece of wire across the two contacts 85 and 87 on the fuse box base when relay plugs in. If it still clicks then it is clearly a starter issue. This test bypasses all safety switchs and the push button start. 

Edited by John/Horace

19 hours ago, markfs33 said:

Hi.
I have a 2014 2.4L Journey that won’t start randomly.

I have running with an issue with the fuel level sensor, it’s broken and I have the code for that  issue on the scanner but it was working just fine despite marking empty fuel all the time.

However a couple of days ago I went to work and back home normally, but in the evening it did not start, next day did not start at all, yesterday it start normally like 10 times that I try. Today I came to work but now it doesn’t start anymore again, there’s a click sound but other than that nothing.

My battery voltage is 12.7, and my fuses are ok. We tried jump starting but it didn’t work either.

When the car starts it work just flawless, no sounds or jumps or anything. Can it be related to the fuel level sensor?. The scanner shows no other code apart from the fuel sensor being high.

Any ideas?

Please report back on whatever you find to be your problem for others that might have this problem

If the battery is over 3 yrs old get it tested ,,,,, have it load tested to see if it is in good shape....no matter what you think if it is good or not get it tested as that is the easiest to check and cheapest usually free at most part stores,,,also it will involve some time and labor but if it checks out good then remove the cables and clean and tighten them before doing anything else.... 95 % of non start problems are from weak batteries that will run the radio show the lights work and the horn can work but not start the car..also checking all grounds on the frame and starter for corroded or semi loose connections will create on and off starting problems..LIKe i said simple and free things to do before going after expensive fixes by guessing

Edited by 2late4u

• 3 months later...

good evening, I as will is having same issues like markfs33 is having on the exact same 2014 dodge journey 2.4L  86,000miles on it.   took mine to AutoZone to get battery check out at first an they told me it had a bad battery so I purchased a new one, but it still does the same randomly start no crank issue but all interior lights on.     I've check my relay fuses n placed my fingers to hear n feel the clicks on them but it just won't engage like when we first bought it.  after a couple of tries it starts. 

Edited by mikecast

Starting point is always codes. Starter can be bench tested and tec can also  jumper starter relay base connections to by pass all security stuff like transmission range selector, key security and even push button. 

If lightly tapping starter with rubber mallet makes it work, contacts/springs in solenoid bad, new or rebuilt starter needed.

Find a shop that diagnoses and doesn’t just guess at things.

CPS very tricky to test, maybe with an oscilloscope. Electronic lab equip that mechanics don’t have. Scanner often will show a CPS code, but not always. $30 part for oem.   It,s can becconsidered a wear item after 100k or so, on some cars.  Heat and vibration eventually affects part.

A loose starter can be tested on the ground with a battery and jumper cables and a screw driver.

Power connections arced out with screw driver to engage solenoid and motor.

Edited by John/Horace