Another no passenger heat post!

Wilson111

2012 journey r/t  3 zone climate 180000kms

No heat on passenger side, driver side and rear is hot. I’ve replace the passenger side blend door and is working properly as far as I can see, the flap opens all the way and closed all the way. Testing without the actuator the door moves freely. There’s a noticeable difference between the min and max setting on the controls even though it blows mostly cold. 

I replaced the heater core this fall and flushed the coolant. 

when its in recirculating mode it’s still cold on the passenger side.

now it’s -16°c/ 3°f and blowing really cold air on the passenger side…. 

I must be missing something! Any ideas?

sounds like the heater core as it is a 2 zone difference,,, divers /passenger side , since you said you changed it out not really sure what to tell you to do next i believe there are 3 blend doors what what i read drivers side /passenger side and then one really hard to get to in the middle of the dash,,,hopefully someone else will chime in soon with better thoughts on what to do  the early yr journeys were bad to plug up the heater cores from the sand they used in casting the engine blocks, i would think about replacing the core again but thats is my only guess

I did the hack heater core replacement via the drivers side footwell. Drained and flushed with demineralized water then drained again then filled with zerox g05 coolant. Was hoping it would last longer than 2 months before it got clogged again, if that is the problem. 

its our second winter with the journey and between this and the absolutely useless awd living in a ski resort commuting to work in storms I want to sell this car, summer it’s good but the cold slippery snow days I hate this thing! 

Edited by Wilson111

Was the proper orange coolant in there when the problems started. I think some people mix regular or universal ethylene glycol with the factory stuff. Jell can form in heater core and seems to block heat to passenger side. There are pics on line of a jelled core that was cut open to show problem. Sand from block coating was another possibility.

With a new core and a well flushed system , then rinsing with a special flush additive before switching to different coolant,  it should have fixed problem.

You may have a bad actuator still causing the problem, Rockauto sells them fairly cheap if that’s the issue.  If the actuator by the air hvac filter gets stuck,  your passenger side will fog up and there will be very little heat. With filter out you can see if it opens and closes. My wife’s 2014 just had hers get stuck closed. Poked at it to free it up, then silicone spray on pivot point; working again for now.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b6a7c3178eed56f2b8047b669bcfdbd.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace