HAVE to buy a second FOB for our '14 DJ

Well, I've now embarrassed myself but luckily in my own driveway!

Sat. morning in cold and snow I went out to start the wife's DJ and warm it up for her to go shopping. NO PROBLEM doing that, but decided to toss the FOB into the center dash "cubby" not realizing that it activated the door locks and closed the drivers door! YUP car running and FOB locked inside and my constant fear of this situation was done by ME! YES I got into the car with some difficulty, and NO I don't wish to divulge HOW for anti theft for others safety. I am willing to PM a trusted member if desired, but suffice it to say that the EASIEST WAY is to have a SECOND working FOB to a vehicle handy!

We got this '14 back in June and only had ONE FOB. I should have made a second one a top priority back then! For now we took the "hidden " key from the FOB and are keeping in a separate place out of the car at all times.

LOL LIVE AND LEARN! Thankfully I was able to not burn up too much gas over the 1/2 -3/4 hr NIGHTMARE to get a door to unlock!       :gaah:

Most key people could even make a copy of the fob hidden key. It goes back in place and new spare key can go in magnetic box hidden under car. Temporarily before expensive Xmas time fix.

Ram truck fobs can be reprogrammed yourself using the truck ignition and a few repeat steps. Journey like you know, not that easy. If you have factory remote start, be carful what new fob you get. 

1 hour ago, John/Horace said:

Most key people could even make a copy of the fob hidden key. It goes back in place and new spare key can go in magnetic box hidden under car. Temporarily before expensive Xmas time fix.

Ram truck fobs can be reprogrammed yourself using the truck ignition and a few repeat steps. Journey like you know, not that easy. If you have factory remote start, be carful what new fob you get. 

Was already a "step ahead" of your suggestion on having a duplicate made. Events of today made me put that plan on hold even though I had the "key" with me till tomorrow. Going to drop by Walmart near where I have to be Mon - Fri till 1:30 - 2:00 with my Dad at Nursing home . Just not sure if their duplicating key holder will work with the "hidden key" base.

4 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

A plain key is now made and works the drivers door! Walmart made one for $3.00 with no problem. Now to find a good secure metal HIDING spot!

Going to do the same for my son's '11, WHEN I finally see him due to his working hours!

you could use same color duct tape and tape it inside the fuel door flap or the black backside of the hole that the gas cap protrudes thur, i done that for yrs and also on my daughters old vans, it is easy to get to and easy to hide considering the color of your vehicle...and the tape keeps the key clean as well ,,,,,,,,,,,,also finding any metal for a magnetic key holder WITHOUT having to lay on the ground and under your journey will be a challenge,,,LOL

Edited by 2late4u