Key Fobs detected but not locking or unlocking

We have two journeys, one a 2012 and the other 2018. Two key fobs for each. Today all the key fobs stopped allowing us to lock, unlock, remote start, or panic. Both journeys still detect the key for passive entry and starting. I've replaced batteries, but that didn't fix it. Kind of at a loss as to why this happened. Any thoughts?

• 6 months later...

Hi bvanhooser, I have just ran into the same issue on my 2015 journey... The 2 Key fobs are decteted and still start vehicle and proximity unlock/lock at the door handle, but no buttons function!  Just out of the blue, worked fine untill I tried just now. Fobs were not dropped or damaged, literally worked hours ago. 

Batteries in both fobs putting out 3V, no issues with fobs previously. Checked all doors, closed and lock/unlock properly.  Starts normaly, car battery is plenty good. 

Did you ever solve this problem? Any help much appreciated! 

Edited by DJDiggler

as most one time posters they never reported back on their solution to the problem, i would assume their problem would be different then yours. have you checked out youtube for any solutions?sounds like your journey is not rec the signals from your fobs,,,did you put in new batteries or just checked them for their strength i would replace them first before doing anything else. please report back on whatever you find to be the problem for others 

Problem never really was resolved. Key fobs still don't work at home sometimes, but they do occasionally work when out and about. No real rhyme or reason to when they work. My wife's key fob will actually work sometimes and mine won't, and we're both at the car. Wish I had an answer for you...

44 minutes ago, bvanhooser said:

Problem never really was resolved. Key fobs still don't work at home sometimes, but they do occasionally work when out and about. No real rhyme or reason to when they work. My wife's key fob will actually work sometimes and mine won't, and we're both at the car. Wish I had an answer for you...

ALL 4 quit working for both? Well lets say ONE FOB works "sometimes. 

I don't have so new a year as an 2018, but I do know that if you have a Check Engine Light on when in use, the computer will NOT allow remote start to function till the fault is fixed.

Is this the only fault with both cars? Does the FOB lock/unlock the doors of both cars?

Your messaging is rather vague, we need specific as to which car and what is not working.

8. Faulty receiver module

Dodge Journey has a remote keyless system receiver that receives radio frequency signals from the key fob. If none of your key fobs work, and and you can’t reprogram the keys, it is possible the receiver module has developed a fault.

You may have to perform further diagnostics to identify the faulty. The keyless entry antenna could be damaged, or the module is just not communicating with other modules on the vehicle. In these cases an OBDII scan tool can be used to verify if the commands are being transmitted and acted on by the security module...................................

Reset the system

If the key fob is not working due to a glitch in the keyless entry system, it may be possible to restore the functionality by resetting the keyless entry system in your Journey.

disconnect-battery.jpg

There isn’t any button or option to reset the keyless entry system in Journey, but you can reboot all the on-board computers by disconnecting the 12 volt battery for a few minutes. Remove the cable from the negative terminal of the battery first, then from the positive terminal. With the battery disconnected, press the horn button a few times and turn on the headlights to drain out all the residual electricity from the system. After about 15 minutes, reconnect the battery in reverse order: positive cable first, then negative cable.

Oops, my post notifications were going to spam... Thanks for the replies guys! I also found a few recommendations to try rebooting the computers but was not looking forward to digging out the damn battery.  I ended up just trying to clean all contacts in the fobs with rubbing alcohol and putting and it still didn't work.  Waited a few hours after I made the post and pushed the lock button from my kitchen and it worked! No idea what the glitch was but it's never happened again, everything has worked as it should since.

Sorry I can't provide a fix or any help to anyone else with this issue, I honestly didn't do anything  to fix it. 

2 hours ago, DJDiggler said:

Oops, my post notifications were going to spam... Thanks for the replies guys! I also found a few recommendations to try rebooting the computers but was not looking forward to digging out the damn battery.  I ended up just trying to clean all contacts in the fobs with rubbing alcohol and putting and it still didn't work.  Waited a few hours after I made the post and pushed the lock button from my kitchen and it worked! No idea what the glitch was but it's never happened again, everything has worked as it should since.

Sorry I can't provide a fix or any help to anyone else with this issue, I honestly didn't do anything  to fix it. 

you dont have to disconnect at the battery just use the upper power jump spots located on the drivers side

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2023 at 3:43 PM, bvanhooser said:

This may sound strange but has been known to boost key fob signals by placing the key fob against your temple then push the button.