12V charging port

CBD

I was wondering if anyone has tried to change the 12V charging port under the radio to a USB port? I have 2018 Crossroad with the 8.4" display. I was wondering how hard it would be to get the 12V out and put in a 3.0 USB?  Would I have to take the whole dash apart? It seems to be molded into the dash.

I did this on my old 2011 Dodge Nitro. That was simple though. All I had to do is pop the radio bezel off and it was right there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah the charger plug ins work great…if you buy a good one. Some 1amp units barely keep the battery level from dropping if the screen is turned on.  Look at the watts and amps, buy the biggest output for faster charging. Plug sticking out does not look as good and gets in the way sometimes. 
If installing jack, the usb “c” jack is the way to go imo.  
Mandated spec to reduce landfill crap. In the UK so far,  

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjHucuc18v5AhWJBjQIHZQXCmQQFnoECC8QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.onlogic.com%2Fcompany%2Fio-hub%2Fusb-type-c-and-usb-3-1-explained%2F&usg=AOvVaw3HaUQd2Z6PVKpdu6I13haG

Edited by John/Horace
Correction

jkeaton - Yes that would be easier, thank you for the idea. I have an extra USB port from when I did the conversion in my Nitro. At that time I bought 2 2 packs and installed 3 of them. One in the dash and 2 in the center console facing the back seat, just incase I need to charge the kids tablets. I know those ports work great from experience.

John/Horace - Thanks for the link. Very useful information. By the way, love your avatar picture.

I just really need to know if I would need to take the whole dash apart in order to replace the port or if the port can just pop out. I read on another thread, while looking for info my my little project, that the start button can just be popped out to be replaced.

I might just have to go out and play with it to find out.

Thanks again to you both.

13 hours ago, 2late4u said:

youtube is where i go for everything nowadays

My kids are on it so much I forget it has more than cartoons and annoying kids songs that get stuck in your head for hours on end. Thanks again for the video.