ECS / TCS coming on how to diagnose?

So last week I hit the TCS button (label ECS?) to turn off TCS where could spin tires in snow. Hit gas for 1 second then turned back on. Was basically to show girlfriend how works and how if stuck in sand or snow may need to turn off so can spin tires and not have ECS limit wheel spin. I understand how system works in DJ. I have a MS6 and it is similar setup as is in many other cars. 

I know me hitting button should have had no effect on system but the light on dash has come on a few times just days after I did it with completely loss of power. After reset car drives fine again. It is a weird coincidence and definitely not ideal. But assume this is all done in ecu so I think its just coincidence and is a sensor. But know she thinks I caused it. Either way have to fix as not safe.

I though must be wheel sensor due to snow/ice but that makes no sense as melted and still happens. So more likely its due to bad connection or bad part.

So how do I diagnose? Check wheel sensor connections? Start installing new sensors?

I can check teeth on axles but given it happens randomly and resets and car drives fine assume its electrical. 

I know can also be steering wheel sensor. 

No ABS light when this happens.

Wish had service manual but dont. 

Id like to try and fix without taking to dealer so figure ask here first.  Hat throwing parts at car but idk how to diagnose and I mean new wheel sensors probably cost less than 1hr a dealer.

Edited by aviator79

Scanning for codes would be useful. But cheaper obd units may not show code for which wheel sensor.

If you search;  people on site have documented changing a wheel sensors on a few occasions. See which one has top vote. I agree part is cheap enough to guess over a high diagnostic fee. Look for corrosion inside one of sensor plugs first.

Just bad coincidence for problem after cycling switch. It is important to know how to disable traction control for all drivers. Sensor looks like it’s attatched to harness wiring; so changing is a bit more work than some cars.  Journey doesn’t seem to have issues with the slotted ring on cv shafts cracking; which has happened to me on other awd vehicles.

79319D8B-C020-4D83-BADF-74FC42877F8C.jpeg.6502efb7b6efcd1d97906415fc87d30e.jpegFEB6C442-CA92-47E0-B729-2BEA5DD9B7F6.jpeg.20ea5a8b93341f6a9e907ea507d6446b.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace

Thanks for reply.

My sensors (on ms6) same where plug is far from where could get screwed up. Which is good. And makes more likely bad sensor. Hard to find info about others having issue and how resolved. Always dealer fixed...

Light went on today but no lack of power like she has had. She says when happens no abs light.

I have torque pro app with BT dongle and will scan to see what says. Doubt will tell me much. Maybe there is a pid addon that would tell more. I also have a dashhawk as was best scan tool at time (2006) for my ms6 (mazdaspeed6). Not sure either good enough to say what issue is as even on my ms6 needed a high end scan tool to read not ready codes which even Cobb AP tuner tool and another tool that have dont show. For audi/wv bought Ross tech vcds tool that does it all but no help here.

Just never had need for better scanner but maybe worth getting good scanner if can show which wheel. Anyone know of one that does this on DJ?

I will scan with what have and will look at wheel sensors and possibly just replace as the loss of power very dangerous.

Will update when resolve...

just fixed my daughters patriot tonight the abs, 4 wheel drive,esp  lights came on couple days ago she had a bad rubber boot on her LF cv axle rot away so she had it replaced just a couple of days ago, so she got  had it scanned at auto zone and it came up as L F speed sensor just like i thought it would be,so I removed the tire and removed the bolt holding the sensor in and it was covered in thick road grease and grime ,cleaned it off put everything back together again, took it for a drive and everything is fine again

Interesting so AZ was able to identify which sensor. Good to know. 

I will start with cleaning sensors.  Being magnetic dirt should not matter but maybe they are dirty enough to cause error as you proved can happen...even though your situation sounds more extreme it is possible. 

Need to remove all lugs anyways as costco complained they need to be replaced. Think a few may have been over tightened (not by me!). What I assume is maybe some caught up (galling) so will repair threads as needed.

Thanks!

Threads are probably still fine. Dodge Lug nuts are chrome sleeve over steel nut design. Cheap design like Ford uses as well.  Corrosion swells the sleeve and they start to distort and socket won’t fit over nut any more. Buy solid chrome nuts like McGuard or other brand names. You can file the nuts back to hexagon shape in the short term, but it’s only temp fix. Need to hammer socket onto nut sometimes to get them off car, frustrating if you get a flat.