Transmission Fluid Disappearing?

jtcowman

In my 2013 Journey with a V-6 and automatic trans the transmission fluid seems to be disappearing.  It started with the engine displaying an increasingly loud whining and then started slipping some gears.  I added a small amount of transmission fluid (being cautious since it has no dipstick!) and the whining got better, then I added the rest of the quart and the problem corrected itself.  When I got home I researched and found out how to check the fluid level, and added the proper amount of fluid (dextron 3 high mileage).  My wife drove it less than 50 miles and the problem was back.  I checked the fluid level as soon as she got home and it was low enough it didn't register on the dipstick.  This morning I pulled the air filter box off and inspected the lines from the transmission to the radiator and there were no signs of a leak.  I looked under the car and around the transmission and no obvious signs of a leak.  There is no fluid on the drive under the car.  Thinking that it might be a radiator issue, I checked the coolant tank and no oil (although I think I need to flush my coolant system).  Obviously this fluid has to be going somewhere!  Any ideas?
Jim

Edited by jtcowman

Trans cooler is SEPERATE from radiator, it's mounted on the front of it. Hoses are known to leak under the air filter box. Also check where the inner front axle joints fit into the trans, there are seals there that can go bad. Also the chance that the torque converter seal is leaking. I'd suggest a more "in depth inspection than you posted if not you, then a competent shop.

ALSO the car uses ATF+4 not Dexron III. 

Edited by 5rebel9

How many miles on car. Has pan filter and oil ever been changed before. No dipstick makes it a bit harder to figure out exact level,  Dorman makes an aftermarket dip stick that comes with a temperature chart to figure out correct  level. Although any old dipstick could be marked off and used. Still need chart for temp versus level, it is on the site,  search.

If pan filter is plugged up might make pump cavitate, which can cause whining noise. 

The car has about 125K on it, I got it at 113K.  I have not changed the transmission fluid or filter.  I looked under the car without jacking it up and could not see any leakage.  After a bottle of Lucas transmission stop leak and 2 quarts of transmission oil, it all but stopped whining and mostly stopped slipping in a drive around the block.  I am thinking the next drive I take should be to the transmission repair shop.  I do what I can, but I'm not an ace mechanic!