Won't start, AWD light comes on

My 2014 SXT won't start. Probably a bad battery. However, last week the traction control indicator was flashing and beeping. It went on for about an hour while driving around town. It didn't come back on later that day, and has not since.

When I try to start it now, it won't start. A message says to service AWD system. Could that be a glitch from a dead battery? Or is a problem with AWD preventing the car from starting?

Welcome to forum, no start can be frustrating.  Weird warnings often go together with low voltage, that is a reasonable assumption. My wife has an awd, I’m not aware of it being able to prevent starting from a fault.

Charge battery for a few hours and make sure no interior lights or plug in stuff is drawing continuous power. 

If possible get battery/alternator load tested some where. Make sure connections under hood from battery are clean and corrosion free.  If you buy a new battery for install, charge it as well before using it, they normally don’t arrive with a full charge.

Edited by John/Horace

3 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Welcome to forum, no start can be frustrating.  Weird warnings often go together with low voltage, that is a reasonable assumption. My wife has an awd, I’m not aware of it being able to prevent starting from a fault.

Charge battery for a few hours and make sure no interior lights or plug in stuff is drawing continuous power. 

If possible get battery/alternator load tested some where. Make sure connections under hood from battery are clean and corrosion free.  If you buy a new battery for install, charge it as well before using it, they normally don’t arrive with a full charge.

Thanks. Seems like a battery issue to me, but the indicators confused me a bit. This is my first vehicle with those types of computers/sensors.

8 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

As you are driving, if the battery stops getting charged. The ecm will start to shut down systems like the radio and climate control to keep power for critical stuff lights and engine cooling fan. Lots of though goes into it.

I haven't had any other problems. It just wouldn't start after work yesterday. I jumpstarted it and drove home with out issue. I checked a few hours later and it started fine.This morning it wouldn't start, that's when the AWD light came on.

well if the battery is the oem them yes you need a new one, i have a 2014 and already changed mine out 3 times once when my Daughter need one and mine was 2 yrs old i gave her my old one, i usually replace mine every 3-4 yrs just to be safe and not have a problem in the cold rain or on a trip since it is in such a hard place to get....just makes sense

4 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

well if the battery is the oem them yes you need a new one, i have a 2014 and already changed mine out 3 times once when my Daughter need one and mine was 2 yrs old i gave her my old one, i usually replace mine every 3-4 yrs just to be safe and not have a problem in the cold rain or on a trip since it is in such a hard place to get....just makes sense

I haven't looked at the battery yet, but it's safe to assume it's probably original. Thanks for the tip.

On 2021-09-05 at 1:17 AM, Evlmarine said:

My 2015 Sxt AWD also had the same issue then it didn't start at all, Vehicle Not in Park message cane on and it was the Neutral position sensor that went bad. Its about $65 and easy to replace with some patience, No need to drain the transmission.

Good info for the site. One of oil pans removed to do it.?

Mopar oem part is $50-ish plus shipping.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2014,journey,3.6l+v6,3300354,electrical-switch+&+relay,neutral+safety+switch+/+range+sensor,4584

721AAF94-6475-4B36-B8D2-145A17CEB70B.jpeg.37b4f4bc7544b9c07459862268f33e7e.jpeg32D0A374-7667-41AF-93E7-AACF56C524F2.jpeg.ab40f510d019089fb7cac117d713014c.jpeg