alex519

In my 09 when I heard hissing the system had a leak. Don’t waste your money just refilling the Freon. Take it to a qualified shop, find the leak, and fix it.  The only way you get low on Freon is if it leaks out.  It does not get used up.

23 hours ago, OhareFred said:

In my 09 when I heard hissing the system had a leak. Don’t waste your money just refilling the Freon. Take it to a qualified shop, find the leak, and fix it.  The only way you get low on Freon is if it leaks out.  It does not get used up.

So now it's not even hissing or clutch engaging my regular mechanic said the ac compressor still works but something is stopping it from engaging and they are saying it has to do with electrical but literally the day before it was working perfectly fine which confuses me if it would be a electrical I more believe it being related to a leak because it happened out of no where

On 8/23/2021 at 10:51 AM, 2late4u said:

it is probally not working, maybe taking it into a qualified shop to have it looked at might help,,,,,

That's my plan because it sucks not having ac does the outcome usually go well for this and what's the cost usually?

Most common a/c repair is condensor replacement. It’s an aluminum flat thing that looks like a screen almost, sits in front of radiator behind grill.

A small rock often can often bounce up and put in a hole it. Then refrigerant leaks out, usually a small oil stain forms around where leak is, dirt will cling to it.  Unfortunetly,  several hundred bucks to fix usually.

15 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Most common a/c repair is condensor replacement. It’s an aluminum flat thing that looks like a screen almost, sits in front of radiator behind grill.

A small rock often can often bounce up and put in a hole it. Then refrigerant leaks out, usually a small oil stain forms around where leak is, dirt will cling to it.  Unfortunetly,  several hundred bucks to fix usually.

So how could I look for the leak if you don't mind me asking before going to the mechanic and can I order it from offline cheaper?

You could refill the system with THE PROPER refrigerant (several types) with dye in it, HOWEVER if you are not familiar with working on AC systems, take it to a auto ac repair place. Your mechanic does not sound like he/she is familiar with AC systems.  If you are low/empty on Freon the compressor will not engage.  Once you know what part needs to be replaced you might be able to get it online, but you just don’t change the part and refill the system.  There is more to it.  AC systems are not really a DIY project…..

Edited by OhareFred

7 minutes ago, OhareFred said:

You could refill the system with THE PROPER refrigerant (several types) with dye in it, HOWEVER if you are not familiar with working on AC systems, take it to a auto ac repair place. Your mechanic does not sound like he/she is familiar with AC systems.  If you are low/empty on Freon the compressor will not engage.  Once you know what part needs to be replaced you might be able to get it online, but you just don’t change the part and refill the system.  There is more to it.  AC systems are not really a DIY project…..

Yea he doesn't really specialize in it at all but offered his help I check with one of those auto zone ac fill up things and it siad its full I check the radiator the small radiator part and don't see any cracks 

sounds like you need to find a qualified mech to fix this problem as your reg mech really doesn't seem to know anything about AC work and as from the questions you are asking us here on the blog indicates you are not applicable as well to find the problem ...not being mean its just AC work requires special tools and equipment and the know how to use it as well, also it can get real expensive real quick as well this NOT something that can be diagnostic over the internet,,,ask around of your friends for dealerships or shops that specialize in ac work as well....good luck and report back on what you find out