L-shaped Plastic Panel Comes Off In The Trunk Problem

Leo_B

Hello guys, 

Happy Journey 2020 owner for the last month so far, the only issue is the L-shaped plastic panel in the trunk - the one's right end appeared to come off slightly last weekend (please look at the photos attached). Not a big deal, but still a sore in the eye that indeed freaks me out. So there are two questions to ask and get answered:

(a) what's the right name for that panel mentioned?

(b) is there any DIY fix for the problem described?

Tons of thankyou-thankyou in advance!

L-Shaped nr1.jpg

L-Shaped nr2.jpg

Edited by Leo_B

they are held on by plastic push pin clips, if you remove it and then probally have to replace the pin if you can find one ..or simply take a bit of clear silicone inbeteen the 2 panels and then wedge a pole or board to hold it tight and in place till it dries,,that is what i would do

32 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Hatchback headliner trim panel.

I don't find clear silicone is very strong under load.

Should be under warranty coverage, I would ask. Parts department could order correct clip, maybe get two. Flimsy trim is common on FCA vehicles.

under load all it is a plastic trim piece    LOL , op doesn't give mileage  so i assume its out of warranty might use some double sided tape as well,, your way of buying clips from the part dept would cost $10-15 depending if he does more damaged removing it to install new clips

Edited by 2late4u

Held in place and glued, then remove support and it's under load, and driving with vibration.. .a live load.  White 100% silicone maybe,the clear is really weak I find. Moparcity or other on line dealers are way lower than list now for stuff.16293044217362302694953611923253.thumb.jpg.663d48aebcb9839d7f2a423c1c132d15.jpg

I like this E6000 clear automotive sealant. Needs over night curing, but great for plastics/vinyl. Beats silicone generally, around $5 a tube.

Haaa haaa. Must be the lighting, I'm retired so more gardening then wrench work. Here is a wrist scar from an exploding zip blade. Proof of something I guess.

The clear silicone being easy to remove is actually handy sometimes. Just not great for holding plastic stuff together. My 2 cents.

16293517067561712750433084502362.thumb.jpg.ff7b151d885e67e0de3dd76a532d9f7c.jpg

Edited by John/Horace

Sorry John, but when I saw that that pic it was the first thing that came to my mind and I could not resist posting it!  ;)

I'm in what one may say is "forced retirement" due to physical injury, but still "turning my wrenches" as best I can to keep the family cars and house going..... takes me a lot more time now to work in my limits. and then pay the recoup pain price after anyway.

YUP those darned KIA bake lines . . . BTDT on our daughters Spectra last year!