Cv shaft, what do I need?

Reaper614

Anyone here able to tell me what I need?

Thought my passenger cv shaft was bad. Found out my intermediate shaft bearing was gone. Shaft pulls in and out(not all the way out)of what I'm assuming is the transaxle. So my question is, is there a gasket or something I need to replace in the transaxle or does the intermediate shaft bearing hold it all in place? As for the shaft I'm just going to get Thanks in advance. 

PXL_20210610_205823242.jpg

PXL_20210610_205815328.jpg

PXL_20210610_205759524.jpg

Alright, well I'm definitely getting a new intermediate shaft w/carrier bearing. Cv shaft seems good so if I can separate it I'll use that. As for that seal, is that a transaxle seal(anyone know the proper name)? Is it a Pain to swap? And as for filling it up, does it share fluid with the transmission, or is it its own system?

Edited by Reaper614

There is a collapsing snap ring for the CV joint end of the intermediate shaft that some have a problem overcoming to "pop" the CV off. I've found a sharp blow with a "dead blow" hammer to the joint's "tulip cup end will separate the shafts pretty well. NOT positive that the transfer case end has one. The seal is only as difficult as your lack of skills to do, for those that have done this work a lot it's not hard to do. Without looking it up, I can't answer the fluid type portion of your query.

the fluid  is your transfluid, the cv should just pop out i used a long pry bar to use to pop it off just dont damage the face of the seal and there should be just none to minala amount of trans fluid to leak out.be careful replacing the new unit in and not scrape the seal as it is being done,i havent ever replaced one in a journey but did several in my caravan,,check out youtube for videos on how to do it,, never had to replace the seal myself as it was always the cv joint going bad...good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, well I appreciate y'all's help and it's definitely good to hear about the fluid! As for an update I got the new half shaft on there(seal made it through!), reused the cv shaft and it was good for a day. Felt some grab and some vibration so took another look and the caliper was seized up. Replaced the caliper and about 30min later had a nice wobble going about 50mph and stayed with me till I stopped,it would come and go after that and not just at higher speeds. Thinking maybe cv shaft didn't make the transfer? What do y'all think?

• 1 year later...

Hey man I hope you get this after everything said and done what parts did you need to replace in the exact same boat if I can get the names off all parts replaced will make my life so much easier of that end 

22 minutes ago, Kmc98 said:

Hey man I hope you get this after everything said and done what parts did you need to replace in the exact same boat if I can get the names off all parts replaced will make my life so much easier of that end 

just go to your local part store and tell them what you want to do, that way you get all the right parts ,dealership is more expensive but they will use your vin # and get you all the right parts which usually are a better quality than the part stores,,,i would advise to replace it all and not cheap out on just the shaft bearing...not really hard but something you really want to have to redo..dont forget the torque specs as well for the axle nut...plus watch a bunch of youtube videos....P.S. also in his pictures of his trans axle where it was wet ,the trans seal was also probally damaged as it shouldn't have been wet or greasy there

Edited by 2late4u