2010 Dodge Journey Battery Drain Solved

I did two things and have never had a dead battery since.

1. I disconnected the plug at the back of the radio.

2. I pulled the light bulb out of the glove box.

While the radio was pulled I noticed the light on in the glove box through a hole only visible with the radio out.

The heavy, thick owners manual kept the glove box door tilted out activating the plunger switch to turn the light on.

The bulb must be pulled as it appears this miniature bulb is not on the interior lamps circuit but separate.

NOTE:

The problem most certainly is in the glove box door switch and possibly not the radio.

But I wasn't going to connect the radio back up and have another dead battery as it was the middle of winter when I solved this.

Had I not seen the glove box light on while the radio was out I would never have solved the problem.

Once again pulling your interior lamps fuse may not solve the problem. Pull the bulb and be done with it.

Edited by tim1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, Locosiete said:

If you want to keep light you can glue something like a penny where it meets to add a little extra length to push in switch. Assuming you can confirm by lifting the door a hair and seeing if light goes out

You could test the light by turning on your phone's camera and dropping it in the glove box and then shutting the door. ;) 

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2022 at 10:30 PM, Charlton Wilson said:

You could test the light by turning on your phone's camera and dropping it in the glove box and then shutting the door. ;) 

I did this week's ago, the casing for that little bulb was melted, so I pulled the whole thing.  BUT, still have the issue.  I think I hear the cd player running ( never used it don't own a single cd!).  Replaced the TPIM  too, still having issues.  Any ideas?  Live in a small town and have been to 3 mechanics, one keeps telling me what it ISN'T, another tells me it's the TPIM, and the other one changed the window switch on the drivers side because the windows, in the front only, rolled down when NO ONE was in the car.  Battery charger shows a trickle drain of about 2.4 to 2.5 after an all night charge.  Can anyone help??  Trying to buy a house and can't afford to buy another car right now.  

29 minutes ago, Christine727 said:

I did this week's ago, the casing for that little bulb was melted, so I pulled the whole thing.  BUT, still have the issue.  I think I hear the cd player running ( never used it don't own a single cd!).  Replaced the TPIM  too, still having issues.  Any ideas?  Live in a small town and have been to 3 mechanics, one keeps telling me what it ISN'T, another tells me it's the TPIM, and the other one changed the window switch on the drivers side because the windows, in the front only, rolled down when NO ONE was in the car.  Battery charger shows a trickle drain of about 2.4 to 2.5 after an all night charge.  Can anyone help??  Trying to buy a house and can't afford to buy another car right now.  

If you have Bluetooth (Dodge term HFM-hands free module)

pull the fuse.