Grand Caravan vs Journey towning

justinm188

I had been reading around on the towing for my 2018 Journey GT compared to the Grand Caravan. The Engine and Chassis on the Grand Caravan and the Journey GT is the same. The only difference is my Journey is AWD and the Grand Caravan is not. But the Grand Caravan has 3600bLBs of towing any my Journey has 2500 LBs of towing. Can anybody explain this difference?

Pretty sure you will find the under chassis structure of the Caravan a lot "beefier" than the Journey Engine and trans may well be the same, but that is NOT the only "criteria" for towing capability. A subject WELL discussed on the Forum here.

NY rust gremlins and normal maint costs have finally forced me to give up on my 04 T&C(with factory tow package), I will mourn replacing it for a very long time. 

There are many reasons, Sadly the main issues are likely due to the increased cost to make the Journey Compliant with the DOT towing requirements which changed in 2010 to better reflect real driving.

The 2008-2010 Journey had 3500lb towing. 
The 2011-2021 has 2500lbs towing, despite being the exact same Car/Architecture*/frame.

Pre 2010:
 DOT tow rating measurements were very sketchy. Manufactures would take their least equipped, but highest tow rated trim, put a 80lb test driver, new pads, brakes, no luggage, minimal fuel, and would conduct their towing tests to get the ratings. This is why before 2010, every car/sedan/prius/honda fit has a rated tow weight.
POST 2010: DOT requires real world testing: Now all ratings are done with 2 humans (200lbs each) and 100 lbs of luggage in the trunk, full tank of fuel. The criteria for handling and stopping distance changed too. For whatever reason, the Grand Caravan survived these new tests, and retained it's rating. 

The summary is that the Dodge Journey failed to meet the requirements, and the cost to make the dodge compliant isn't worth it to FCA. Instead; Just reduce the rated towing in the manual and call it a day. Saves money and headache.

The reality is:
You /CAN/ tow much more with the Journey. People do it all the time and say it's fine. Just get a torsion hitch, brake controller, and don't drive like an idiot. 

• 2 years later...

The difference in towing capacity between the 2018 Journey GT (2500 lbs) and the Grand Caravan (3600 lbs) is likely due to the added weight and complexity of the all-wheel-drive (AWD) system in the Journey, which can impact its towing capability compared to the front-wheel-drive setup in the Grand Caravan.

No robo-Johan,  read Navallacross post above.  

FCA at the time did not want to pay for testing to meet new DOT towing capacity compliance. Real world testing needed post 2010 to keep the higher weight rating. 

There already was awd available on the higher rated 2009-10 models. Awd not new for 3.6 engine.

19 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

No robo-Johan,  read Navallacross post above.  

FCA at the time did not want to pay for testing to meet new DOT towing capacity compliance. Real world testing needed post 2010 to keep the higher weight rating. 

There already was awd available on the higher rated 2009-10 models. Awd not new for 3.6 engine.

I agree with you John/Horace about johanbrandon .just a an AI bot on here, he needs to be removed from the blog

The post algorithm should have seen 2009-10 first version with the 3.5 V6 also had available awd and the tow rating would have reflected that. AWD adds around 200 ish pounds to both the 3.6 and 3.6 drive line.  Both use the 62TE six speed automatic.

Way more power with the new design 3.6 engine in the  2011 plus models. But towing isn’t just about engine power. The 2009-10 models years generally had worse brakes. Larger rotors and sometimes dual piston calipers on 2011 plus models. 

The GVWR on both 7 passenger vehicles in awd is about 150 pounds apart, with the 3.6 being heavier. Although post 2016 journeys jumped a bit more even.  Maximum tow weight ability would require trailer brakes, important detail.