Remote Start Wont work says the hood is open help!

I recently brought a 2012 Dodge Journey SXT and when I try to use the remote start it honks once and doesn't work I stood closer to the door to inspect the message of why this keeps happening and it stated that the hood was opened I replaced the sensor that looks like a little button behind the passenger light and that didn't work, I also unplugged the negative terminal for 45 minutes and still nothing can someone help me out here

After switch change is it still saying hood open. ? The switch sends a signal saying hood is closed for circuit to function.

You would need a wiring diagram to follow where the wires go. Could be some component that is defective, relay etc or just a corroded connection some where.  Was it working when bought it or are you just finding this now.

6 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

After switch change is it still saying hood open. ? The switch sends a signal saying hood is closed for circuit to function.

You would need a wiring diagram to follow where the wires go. Could be some component that is defective, relay etc or just a corroded connection some where.  Was it working when bought it or are you just finding this now.

just finding now

No not really. Was it a used switch.? Could make up jumper wire  for plug and try it without hood switch.

Could be a damaged wire, follow it in the harness. Some times doing work under the hood wiring can get damaged.

https://parts.motorcitychrysler.ca/a/Dodge_2011_Journey-SXT-Sport-Utility-36L-Pentastar-V6-FLEX-AT-FWD/_56655_6036868/ELECTRICAL-COMPONENTS/TK09192.html

Just now, John/Horace said:

No not really. Was it a used switch.? Could make up jumper wire  for plug and try it without hood switch.

Could be a damaged wire, follow it in the harness. Some times doing work under the hood wiring can get damaged.

https://parts.motorcitychrysler.ca/a/Dodge_2011_Journey-SXT-Sport-Utility-36L-Pentastar-V6-FLEX-AT-FWD/_56655_6036868/ELECTRICAL-COMPONENTS/TK09192.html

I took it off my other dodge journey that works fine

28 minutes ago, Locosiete said:

Think i misread that you took part off another one and it fixed it. Otherwise start at hood switch pin and follow it.

What i do is just visually inspect first. If no obvious broken wires then using light tester or a multi meter and check wire every foot or so until you either get signal or loose. Then you can narrow it down to where connection is bad. I'd recommend looking up wiring diagram.

It's weird though because it doesn't say that my hoods open ONLY when I am trying to remote start 

55 minutes ago, Locosiete said:

That is weird! Just to make sure is it the factory remote start or a aftermarket one?

Factory remote start this is the message for anyone else 

20210503_112850.jpg

On 5/3/2021 at 1:11 PM, Locosiete said:

I'm almost certain that regardless if the switch was bad or missing it doesn't give any error or messages under normal driving or starting operations. Pretty sure it is only there for purpose of alarm or remote start. 

I would take connection off and check to see if it has a connection using a light tester. It is a ground so if you see connection at switch plug then I would change pin switch. If no connection then start following connection as mentioned before. 

What's the pay that senses the hoods closed

20210506_161524.jpg

On 5/7/2021 at 10:53 AM, Locosiete said:

Well if that is your hood pin i would say that is very much broken! Not to nitpick but the connection comes off. Just have to press in the blue tabs. Otherwise you now need to splice in connector.

I don't recommend it but you can bypass switch and connect the 2 wires together if you don't want to have a hood pin installed. That is not very safe tho because someone could accidentally activate remote start while you are working on car. But your safety and safety of others is on you. Could also just add sticker under hood saying vehicle is equipped with remote start. This way if you ever take it to a shop they know.

Otherwise part if not very expensive to replace. 

tried connecting the two wires that doesnt work 

1 minute ago, Locosiete said:

You can buy a light tester for a couple dollars. 

You can get a simple one at harborfreight for example if you have one near you. Otherwise can buy at any parts store, Walmart etc. Here is link to one if it helps. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-12-volt-circuit-tester-4288.html

Your the man!