cold start engine noise

Mopar4us

Hello all! I'm writing this in hopes of finally getting to the root cause of my engine noise its driving me crazy, I know with all the knowledgeable folks on here  someone will know exactly what this noise is. 

2014 journey  104k miles with the 2.4 liter 4cyl motor

The noise only happens on the very first cold start of the day the vehicle has to sit at least 8 hours before it will make the noise again and it makes the sound regardless of the outside temp but the colder the temp the louder and longer it makes the sound. The noise started abruptly the next day after a 500 mile trip. It has fresh oil with the appropriate weight and a mopar oil filter installed. I very much appreciate any help or feedback, Thanks in advance

IMG_1609 2.MOV

Welcome to the forum. What has a mechanic said it is ?   Free advice worth everything you pay for it.

Could be quite a few different things. Starting it cold for 10 seconds with surpentine belt removed should eliminate a spinning component like alternator, water pump, a/c idler,  pwr steering pump various idler bearings etc on front of engine. Might create a few check engine lights afterwards for no charging etc.

Dont run it for too long.

After that you move on to internal stuff like timing chain tensioner, valve train components etc.

The 2.4 is not exactly a quiet engine in the first place. Cold engines tend to be a bit louder in general.

Edited by John/Horace

I have 2 avengers a Chrysler 200 and the Dodge Journey all with the 2.4 

only the journey makes the noise it’s loud and obvious. Coming from internal engine components. Hopefully I can figure it out. Thanks for the help 

I also noticed during just normal highway driving at around 75 mph on a flat surface The engine oil temp will  often get up to and stay in the 230s range. I have spent a fair amount of time looking around and I’m having trouble getting a conclusive answer as to the normal oil operating temperature on these vehicles. Neither my avengers or the 200 have the read out to show oil temp.

It’s probably perfectly normal but I would like to verify 

If anyone would be kind enough  to check their oil temperature after being on the highway for about 30 minutes I would appreciate it very much

Edited by Mopar4us

sounds way to high, io have the 3.6 eng but i normally run around 185 -200 when i was towing a trailer it would get up to 115-118 but no higher... havs your coolant been changed,, since its a 2014 its due and also might want to replace the thermostat as well

BITOG bob is the oil guy is good source of oil information. They say 20 weight oil is ok up to 225F ish. Clip pasted below.

A vehicle driven in a "normal and benign" way will live on 20 with oil at 200~225 F. A vehicle pushed very hard while towing or hauling heavy loads, or on a track will probably live better on 30, 40 or 50 depending how hot the oil is going to get (250~300+F). Even 5W-20 could be fine on a track too if the vehicle has crazy oil coolers that would always keep the oil at 225 F all day long. It all depends on the expected max oil temperatures on how thin you can safely go.

I’m not a big fan of snake oil additives in general, but some people have had luck with them. If you are positive the sound is internal, a sticking valve lifter or timing chain hydraulic tensioner might be helped by an additive. With the number of 2.4 ‘s you have on the road, you know what they should sound like.

Hey I sincerely appreciate the feedback and help guys! 

From what I understand  these engines have solid lifters vs hydraulic. the 2.4’s are indeed a bit noisy I believe due to the nature of the flat tappet cams but this is something else.
As it’s warming up when the noise stops it stops suddenly. i’m thinking it may be the variable valve timing solenoid actuator?? I’m not sure if it’s in my head or not but it also seems like the vehicle has lost a little bit of power like for instance when climbing a hill it doesn’t like to keep speed unless  I really push it especially with the A/C on. I took the valve cover off and inspected for for anything abnormal, everything looked fine except I did find these two small pieces of metal I’m not sure if it came from productions casting..to me it looks like drillbit shavings or maybe even part of a valve seat 

EE4765CE-0B81-48B6-98F7-0FA6E422B201.png

Try scanning for codes. There are a bunch of codes for the vvt solenoids. They have a filter that might prevent any pieces getting into engine. The lifters are solid, not likely from there.

565D2DAB-1092-4292-BD7A-1E2F65272121.jpeg.f625277bc28d4ddca0b629e68ea8adf1.jpeg

That is definitely not a drill bit shaving; save that sample.  A compression and leak down test might show if there is an issue with a cylinder.   This other pic is of a thrust washer, part of timing chain assembly.  The metal may not even be related to the noise, but it is a good place to start.

25EE2EF6-EBFA-40AD-95BA-AC900AD217D9.jpeg.98e1919cba64efdac8c4633ce57c2c8e.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace