Bluetooth not connecting with certain phones

I purchased a 2019 Dodge Journey Crossover in Oct. 2019.  Since I had this vehicle,  I have had an issue with my radio connecting with bluetooth with my current phone.  My car has been to the dealership 9 times already since owning this vehicle.  They replaced the Bluetooth Module twice and replaced the radio in my car.  I just received my car today from the dealership and they told me to contact Uconnect to see if the software is compatable with my phone.  I do have the most up to date with radio software and current IOS.  I have an Iphone 11 Pro.  The CSR gave me steps to try to reconnect my phone through bluetooth in my car.  Once I finalized all the steps, my radio went crazy and kept connecting to phone, then disconnecting the phone.  It lasted over a minute in length.  I finally called Uconnect again and spoke with another CSR rep and he advised me that there is a known issue with most of the Dodge Journeys connecting the phones with bluetooth.  He also advised me that they have an known issue to where you have to manually connect your phone through the bluetooth instead of connecting automatically.  The reason is due to certain radios in the vehicles along with the bluetooth modules.  The radios that have this issue are the 

• RB5 - Uconnect 3 NAV with 8.4"
  • RE2 - Uconnect 3 with 8.4"
  • REB - Radio 4.3S 
  • RHA - Radio 4.3

This is what the CSR sent me through my email:

Uconnect: Dodge Journey: Phone Pairing

Summary
All model year Dodge Journey vehicles equipped with radios and phone software levels listed below cannot maintain a Bluetooth pairing for more than one engine cycle.

This is a Bluetooth module failure, and there is NO FIX.
Details
Affected radios: 

• RB5 - Uconnect 3 NAV with 8.4"
  • RE2 - Uconnect 3 with 8.4"
  • REB - Radio 4.3S 
  • RHA - Radio 4.3

Affected phone software levels: 

• above iOS 12
  • above Android 6

For any phone with a software level above the listed operating systems, customers will notice they cannot maintain their Bluetooth connection once the vehicle is restarted. Customers must press the PHONE icon on the bottom menu bar, then press the DEVICE MANAGER option and select their device from the list every time the vehicle is started, to reestablish the pairingservlet.ImageServer?oid=00Dj0000001qsDF&esid=0183Z00000p0Gic&from=ext.  It may even take several times to connect your bluetooth to your phone.  This is caused by the the bluetooth module trying to re-establish itself to your phone. You might receive an error message to where you cannot connect your phone to bluetooth.

That sounds like quite a story the csr person is telling you.I'm sure the same bt modules are used by multiple vehicles.I was amazed when my wife changed from an iphone (not sure which model) to a Samsung budget galaxy phone. The Samsung can actually read text messages through uconnect while the iphone never could.I was very surprised by the less functional iphone integration

I certainly have and have had no issues with the various Android phones I have used in the 2 Journeys I have owned.  The BT implementation in the Journey is per the standard, which is why good phones (such as the Blackberry series, which is probably the only phone ever sold that completely and properly implemented the relevant Bluetooth protocols) don't have problems.

Toss in library-based implementations and a haughty attitude and it is no surprise that The Journey has issues with Apple phones.  But I take issue with the claim that there are problem with 'later than Android 6', since my S20, running Android11 does everything properly, as did my previous S9, S7 and S5 phones.

I realise that Apple doesn't actually properly implement the Bluetooth protocols (Apple likes to march to the beat of a different drummer in a number of diverse areas), and the blame for the lack of compatibility with the most current iOS versions is proof of that.

That 'there is no fix' is because there is no way to reflash the Bluetooth module to change the way it interacts with devices.  Complaints should properly be directed to Apple.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, bramfrank said:

That 'there is no fix' is because there is no way to reflash the Bluetooth module to change the way it interacts with devices.  Complaints should properly be directed to Apple.

Actually firmware updates can change how the bluetooth works on the radio. I've had aftermarket radios for years and that was one of the most common updates they offered.

On the apple front, you sound like someone that thinks apple products are all super inferior hardware devices while Android is the bees knees.  I respect your choice of hardware but when many millions of users are sporting Apples latest hardware the radio manufacturer has to be able to reliable connect to these phones if they are going to market the bluetooth features.  Or expressly state the compatibility and limitations.  I have a 2018 Dodge charger with the 8.4" uconnect radio (not the same one in the journey but the one with all of the internet connected features and higher def screen) and i have absolutely no problem connecting my phone to bluetooth every single time I get in.  It's the same manufacturer so why can't they figure out their bluetooth in the Journey on these radios?  It shouldn't be acceptable to have this much headache for bluetooth that has been around for many years now.

On a side note, why the hell did they now include carplay in a car in 2020?!?!?  

11 hours ago, occy30 said:

Actually firmware updates can change how the bluetooth works on the radio. I've had aftermarket radios for years and that was one of the most common updates they offered.

On the apple front, you sound like someone that thinks apple products are all super inferior hardware devices while Android is the bees knees.  I respect your choice of hardware but when many millions of users are sporting Apples latest hardware the radio manufacturer has to be able to reliable connect to these phones if they are going to market the bluetooth features.  Or expressly state the compatibility and limitations.  I have a 2018 Dodge charger with the 8.4" uconnect radio (not the same one in the journey but the one with all of the internet connected features and higher def screen) and i have absolutely no problem connecting my phone to bluetooth every single time I get in.  It's the same manufacturer so why can't they figure out their bluetooth in the Journey on these radios?  It shouldn't be acceptable to have this much headache for bluetooth that has been around for many years now.

On a side note, why the hell did they now include carplay in a car in 2020?!?!?  

The Bluetooth module is not flashable.

And they weren't going to change the TGM design for a single model of vehicle in its last year of manufacturer.

Edited by bramfrank

• 2 years later...