Manual Transmission Swap for Journey? (Freemont)?

SV6_Bill

I know this is likely way more work than it's worth but I've been looking for a larger car with a Manual Transmission.  I see that the Freemont is basically the Journey but with different styling (slightly) and different driving options... one of them being an option of a manual transmission.

Right now it's getting easier to find perfectly servicable Journeys for not much and I've been having fun fixing up some older vehicles.  Has anybody ever swapped the transmission on a Dodge Journey themselves?  Even if just replacing 1 4spd Auto for another?  I can't seem to find the manual transmission for the Freemont for sale anywhere (unless somebody can tell me where to look).  So I've been looking for other transmissions that might be compatable.  It looks like the Dodge Caliber/Jeep Compass might be compatible, but the gear shifter comes up at different spots than it would in the Fiat.

Also there's the issue of the TCM.  If that's disconnected with the Auto, will the engine still turn over?  Just seeing if anybody has tried that or what happens when the TCM totally dies/fails.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A mechanism here in Zhengzhou China told me he can replace the auto transmission with a manual gearbox, add a clutch pedal and all the other clear works. I don't know if he can really do this, but tomorrow I will see him.

1 hour ago, MX_67 said:

A mechanism here in Zhengzhou China told me he can replace the auto transmission with a manual gearbox, add a clutch pedal and all the other clear works. I don't know if he can really do this, but tomorrow I will see him.

sounds expensive and might cause problems with the electronics, but let us know for thoes who think they might want it

9 hours ago, 2late4u said:

sounds expensive and might cause problems with the electronics, but let us know for thoes who think they might want it

This Dodge Journey is my first AT car, MT has become part of my life. The 62TE shifting logic is quite weird and annoying, I don't know if I can get used to it.

Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated if I get a clear answer from the machinist。

• 5 months later...

From what I can recall, the Manual Transmission was only available outside of the USA & Canada and was only used with the Diesel Engines (2.0L).

The Bellhousing for the Manual Trans likely won't match, getting a custom adapter made will be expensive (unless you "know a guy")....you might have better luck swapping in a Manual Trans from a 3.6L Wrangler but will still likely cost a small fortune of Custom 1-Off parts to make it all fit.

And then comes the Tech side of the swap, I promise that won't be fun LOL

All that said, I would love to see someone actually perform this swap as I've wanted to do this to my Journey for the last 7yrs, but I ain't got that kinda coin or time LOL

Apologize for my late updates.

The local car fixing/mod factory said they can do the mod, that is replace the 62TE with a VW MQ300 or MQ350, and do some firmware programming work to get the engine and the gearbox married. Another plan is to change the engine too, replace it with a VW EA211 1.8T. But I don't think it's power enough for the car.

Price was the main factor preventing me from proceeding with the mod. It cost 30000CNY≈ 4500USD, minimum.

Another factor they remind me is, it's illegal.

Sorry for the bad news...

Edited by MX_67