Here we go again.....

2.4journey2013

Hey guys, my buddy check engine decided to drop by unannounced today. So since that previous post about the thread complete and no overheat I just got a check engine after 205 miles of check engine free. Read the codes today and I got P000a/b bank1/2. I know for sure it's not the camshaft sensors because I replaced both intake/exhaust while I was diagnosing the cylinder 2 misfire. Oil was change less than 2 weeks ago. I just read that this car has 2 VVT solenoids, which could have gone bad from what I gathered from another thread here.

The camshaft sensors I removed looked pretty beat up so I'd expect the same from the orginial VVT solenoids as well.

do you guys think it's worth it to try and replace with 2 new VVT solenoids?

B64E7A32-FE4A-4A1B-80CD-B7B05CAB99BE.jpeg

It seems weird that two solenoids would fail at once. Was this engine neglected with extended oil changes.

The vvt solenoids can get plugged up with missed oil changes I have heard. There is a vvt oil filter listed on Rockauto, I would try that first.

Maybe remove solenoids and flush with engine cleaner.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2013,journey,2.4l+l4,1505072

4B36DEFD-8CF4-4170-8B58-187428FE5659.jpeg.dbf52300ed343433618368e1ce9824e4.jpeg

Yes, I highly suspect it was neglected. It's my mothers vehicle, I'm just trying to get it fixed up for her. A decent amount of oil sludge when the oil cap was removed so clogged up VVT solenoids could be a huge possibility.

i looked at the link and it shows that is for the AWD version. This one is fwd.

3F9B0609-3344-4F36-9841-3B40B18CB6FD.png

Edited by 2.4journey2013

Unfortunately we a snag has been hit. The exhaust VVT solenoid snapped off inside the head while it was wiggling out. Maybe a strong magnet could grip it to remove it the remaining way. 

I would like to avoid having to pull the entire timing chain, etc. but if the magnet won't get it then it looks like that's what has to happen!

4B07E33C-BBC5-40B2-96A0-7241BDDF0E9B.png

Edited by 2.4journey2013

If there is oil sludge, it might be preventing it to slide out. Yeah thread a bolt into it and pry out with prybar, maybe spay into gap around sensor a bit to help it slide out. If pulling straight out too difficult, try spinning it clockwise and pulling at same time.

Use magnet it hole after it’s out to pick up any pieces that could have broken loose.

I’m not sure either. I thought it was right below where sensor slid in and could be removed at same time for cleaning.

Will check parts sites for better pics, hopefully. These vvt sensors get plugged on Hyundai Elantras and cause problems with missed oil changes. No screens on the Hyundai cars.

Edited by John/Horace

Found another pic, for the turbo 2.0 Cherokee vvt filter, very similar. Could be facing down with a threaded cap covering the cross shaped bottom part. Wish someone had Alldata log in, might show procedure and pics for cleaning/changing out.

Mopar oem link for part.

https://www.moparpartscanada.ca/oem-parts/mopar-continuous-variable-valve-timing-filter-1028a025

8FDC364D-68B4-4710-BB62-B5727AE316F3.png.4e0a5acbbe398e7c02359e79d3eaca7f.png

Underneath head gasket location, yeah looks like it. Nice pic however.

Makes flushing undoable , crap. Two sensors breaking at once seems suspicious.

I guess put in a new sensor where broken one is, use engine cleaner on the used intake vvt sensor.

With sensor plugged into wire harness and key on but not installed, the solenoid might cycle. Could allow better cleaning if you can cycle it a few times and spray cleaner into sensor openings. Fingers crossed.

Yeah I'm going to skip on replacing that filter at the moment. It would seem suspicious if they both broke at once but this engine has been extremely neglected. I pulled the valve cover off and it's very scary to see what was underneath. I'm sure that has a part in all these issues.

lol, I warned the owner to do maintenance and keep it up to date..

1436FBFA-7C1D-44A9-8A3E-9E7A2573041A.jpeg

Edited by 2.4journey2013

At that point, it looks like the best bet would be to remove the cylinder head and take it to a machine shop for a thorough cleaning and hot tank it. I don't see any normal everyday stuff removing that gunk.

waiting on the intake and exhaust VVT solenoids, will be replacing shortly and then hopefully that check engine will go away but after seeing the condition of the cylinder head I'm not so sure now lol.

The vvt screen is possibly  plugged so the solenoids may not get enough pressure to operate properly. Some kind of snake oil engine flush additive might be able to clear it out.

I wouldn’t pull head off of it for cleaning, head gasket change etc pretty finicky and $. Main bearings etc may already have extra wear.

Its the oil pump pickup in the oil pan I worry about the most. Could drop pan and clean it out, paying attention to screen on pick up.

There are products on the market for sludge motors, as they call them. Life span may be limited. Do a compression check if you can.

Did a compression test it was 210 for three and 207 on one cylinder. I could for sure see it being all in the pickup screen in the oil pan. Well let's hope it's not that plugged! I'll update here once those solenoids are in and I've driven it for a little. Hopefully all is well. 

seafoam ?

I'm surprised how bad this motor is at 86k miles though..

Edited by 2.4journey2013