Rain/Water Leak Back Headliner

natefrog2

I was curious if anyone has had any issues with rain (or water) leaking to the interior headliner (specifically in the back) of their Journey? If so, any possible solutions? 

I sealed around the antenna and that was not it.  It happens when the car sits outside not so much when it is raining while driving.  

Any ideas or tips are appreciated. 

20200717_171043.jpg

Edited by natefrog2

1 hour ago, 2late4u said:

is your rear window squiters working,

Yes, it is working.  It seems to get wet when I have to park it outside and it rains.   I dont feel it occurs if it is raining and I'm driving.  

Edited by natefrog2

water leaks are a bitch to trace down they usually are from a place you wouldn't think it could be from, since its all the way across the top back side i would say it has to be comiing  in from the front and draining backwards,check your rails on top where it attaches to the roof unless you have a sun roof which i assume you dont have,,,good luck on fining your problem

2 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

water leaks are a bitch to trace down they usually are from a place you wouldn't think it could be from, since its all the way across the top back side i would say it has to be comiing  in from the front and draining backwards,check your rails on top where it attaches to the roof unless you have a sun roof which i assume you dont have,,,good luck on fining your problem

Thanks! Roof rails is kind of what I'm leaning.  Our Journey "does" have a sun roof as well. 

Test the sun roof drains with a garden hose and a controlled flow rate. Should drain behind one of the front tire(s) my 2012 has similar lighter coloured marks at top of both A posts from a plugged sunroof drain. I think that is not the cause way at the back of the DJ ? I also noticed the rubber deflector strip coming off of top rear body panel, under my rear hatch upper area runs parallel to the roof line. It looks like it is supposed to deflect any water entering the seem to the sides of the body / rear hatch door. Mine did not leak but I caught it before it completely came loose and attached again using gorilla glue. Just a thought if other suggestions dont work.

Edited by probak118
spelling error

Thanks! Sun roof drains look good; as does the weather strip near the rear hatch.  I have a feeling it may be tied to roof rails.  I just have to figure out how to dissemble them.  Ideally I'd like to find/fix it myself vs. going to dealer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, natefrog2 said:

Thanks! Sun roof drains look good; as does the weather strip near the rear hatch.  I have a feeling it may be tied to roof rails.  I just have to figure out how to dissemble them.  Ideally I'd like to find/fix it myself vs. going to dealer. 

any luck on your water leak,i was just watching a journey repair video  and they were chasing down a wire shorting out problem on a 2012 and it ended up being a rear camera wire that had been improperly  installed on an aftermarket unit but while doing that he noticed water stains on the headliner like yours, he said the customer brought the journey back later and he fixed it and it was from where the antenna was mounted on the top rear but in this case someone had mounted one of thoes shark antenna and didnt get it sealed correctly,also he pointed out that there is a electrical unit or small box that also was getting wet,so you might want to recheck and make sure that is not where your leak is ,i know you said you check it but that is the most likely place,of course it could be the roof rails spots as well. good luck and please report back on what ever you found to be the problem

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:11 AM, 2late4u said:

any luck on your water leak,i was just watching a journey repair video  and they were chasing down a wire shorting out problem on a 2012 and it ended up being a rear camera wire that had been improperly  installed on an aftermarket unit but while doing that he noticed water stains on the headliner like yours, he said the customer brought the journey back later and he fixed it and it was from where the antenna was mounted on the top rear but in this case someone had mounted one of thoes shark antenna and didnt get it sealed correctly,also he pointed out that there is a electrical unit or small box that also was getting wet,so you might want to recheck and make sure that is not where your leak is ,i know you said you check it but that is the most likely place,of course it could be the roof rails spots as well. good luck and please report back on what ever you found to be the problem

We did seal the antenna on the roof as it did appear that was a potential spot, but it still was wet after a night in the rain.  I have not tracked it down yet, but my gut is the roof rail or weather-stripping along the sides.  I need to figure out or find a video on how to remove the roof rails.  I haven't found one yet and don't want to start ripping stuff off without knowing what I'm doing.  Once I get the roof rails off, I'll see if I see evidence of water (e.g. rusty screws, etc) and check back in. 

And if anybody knows how to get the roof rails off or has a video, let me know.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

might be what nate was thinking, about using the blue tape might work as he never reported back if that solved his problem i would  just seal around the rails real good also make sure your seal around the top hatch is good and not ripped

• 3 years later...