Strut Replacement Recommendations

09RT

I have a 2009 R/T 3.6L and I'm looking at the full replacement kits with struts and springs. Are there any strut manufacturers that are recommended for the Journey? Any I should definitely steer clear of? I could probably get away with reusing the springs and just get the struts, but if I already have it taken apart, I figure I might as well update everything as I think everything's stock and the car is 11 years old now.

Thanks!

Edited by 09RT

only time iv ever replaced struts was on my daughters caravan which she used on her mail route and we used the Monroe quick  strut,, it was one complete unit went in easy and she never had any more problems with them....good luck and report back on what you find out

In the front the strut mount bearings wear out eventually, get noisy from corrosion etc.

By the time you buy strut mount and cartridge and wrestle with spring might as well buy whole strut.

You would also need a good strut compressor tool to do the job. Labour intensive job as well.

I like KYB struts, not sure if they make ones for journey. 

Edited by John/Horace

I have done it both ways.

Currently shopping for this on a different vehicle and finding the prices to be not that much different for a the new parts you get.

Something to watch for is the spring diameter on the quick struts. The diameter of the spring metal itself will determine a softer or harsher ride as well as affect body roll. Try to stay with OEM diameter unless you want to modify the ride characteristics.

• 6 months later...

I went with the complete strut unit, the savings for swapping out the cartridge didnt seem worth the work, plus the springs have lot of mileage on them, sure they prob work ok, but new was quicker and easy install, I say easy after having to remove entire rear interior to access bolts, on the front having to remove the plastic cover under windshield wipers. After removing everything it takes to access the struts I was glad not to have to do the work it would have taken to replace cartridge itself. I was able to find complete set of 4 for less than $300, not sure how much garage would charge to remove what it takes to access rear struts but probably cost more than what entire strut set cost, plus there is a certain amount of danger separating the springs from cartridge, but wasnt worth the time for me

IMG_2344.jpg