curt towing wire install

2late4u

first off hope every one has a great Easter weekend and stay safe,,,have had my hitch installed for couple of yrs and never installed the towing wires as i just use the hitch for the wife's medical scooter carrier,but got so bored this last couple of weeks in the stay at home mode i went ahead and ordered the curt wiring harness from amazon for about 450. total and installed the kit and went to run the wire to the front and went to run the wire behind the plastic wheel well and was having a hard time due to the wheel being in the way so i finally decided to remove the wheel and that is when i relised that last time (3 weeks ago) that i had the wheels rotated and balanced at discount Tire that 3 of the nuts on the rear wheel the 19 mm socket wouldnt go on the other 2 slipped over the lug nuts just right, i thought what the hell so went to the front tire and 2 of them the socket wouldnt go on the lug nut, so went to the other side and found a few as well ,so i called the tire shop and they start to explain well ford and dodge use cheap lug nuts that are 2 piece lugs and they go bad after a while i said well i understand that and know that as well and if i had 1 lug nut deformed i would say your right but to never having any problems with them and all of a sudden i have 10 or more go bad at one time I have to believe to is more of a problem from the last time you all did the service work than just a coincidence and he did agree so he said well come on in we will remove the bad ones and replace them withnew solid lugs and i said well i have to drive about 25 miles to the shop and i really dont want half and half good lugs and bad ones how much for a whole new set and he said well we normally charge about45 for all four wheels but how about 20 and said i am on my way, so got all that done and finnished running the wire up to the jump post and got the install finnished..LOL other than the lug nut problem the install went fairly easy just in case i ever need to use the tow hitch with a trailer....things never go as planned but glad i did it just in case i ever had a flat tire later on down the street that i found it sooner than later

only problem so far is when it is hooked up to a trailer only the left side trailer lights work, checked with Curt tec support they said to check the wire on the right side where it is spliced from the factory, they have had some problems i guess,so checked that unplug everything and  re-plugged it back up again still not working on the right side only left side working ,all of a sudden right started working,,put the lights back in buttoned everything back up,everything still working got home from my stepson house, fixed lunch and then went back outside to try it on my neighbors trailer and dam only the left side working, checked  everything again nothing just the left side working so i called Curt tec support again told him everything and he said well i dont have a clue as to the problem so ill just send you another one and said take care..oh well   so much for plug and play ....

Electronics items can have something called electronic crib death. In the first couple of mins of operation it’s the highest frequency of failure as components all heat up for the first time. Harness does have a converter unit in it, electronics of some sort.

Often stuff is quality tested but there can be some defective stuff that slips through. China may have had a bad day.

still having problems with this harness. i rec the replacement today havent installed yet, but i did buy a led tester from harbor freight and it shows the juice going to the trailer connector working on both the left and right side but when hooked up to the trailer connector only the left side works ,the right side blinker and brake doesn't work, i actually dont have the trailer hooked up to the journey  with a trailer ball hitch ,just the wire connector, not sure that should matter since the left side works great but not the right side, I am going to hook up a wire ground from the journey to the trailer just to make sure that cant be the problem,,, this has got me stumped as this is doing the same thing on 3 different trailers that i have tried it on....

On a previous car I did, so they (Curt) suggested I keep it off unless towing and no issues after that. Have always done it on my DJ because I'm a person of habit and haven't had any issues in the 3 years I've used it. 

My old car's bulbs would blow, or the fuse would blow... it was an Explorer with a huge battery.