Problems with battery, uconnect

Okay so, about every two weeks my car won’t start. Ive replaced the alternator twice as well as the battery . I’ve had to buy a jump box to not end up stranded. My radio stays on for about 30 seconds after opening the door and I’ve noticed sometimes my phone connects before I’ve started the car. My buddy has searched forums as well as I and we’ve found many that have this issue. Dead  battery with no check engine light. What we’ve found is many experiencing a parasitic draw from the radio on the battery. I’ve looked into replacing with an aftermarket radio and because of how it works with the ac that is not an option. With as many vehicles experiencing this issue, at times leaving people stranded why is there not a recall?! Seriously losing faith in Dodge here. Will be installing a relay switch on the radio to force it off and hopefully won’t end up stranded again soon. This is quite disheartening and I cannot afford expensive diagnostics at a dealership, especially considering how many have and yet continue to experience the same issues. Please if you’ve found a fix, I’d love to know, I’ll give it a couple weeks and post if the relay switch fixed worked or not. 

Short answer is that it would be quite inconvenient to pull the fuse on average the 5 times a day I turn my car off and it’s on the passenger side. I really feel Dodge should take some accountability for this issue considering many have this exact issue.

Not sure where you looked for an aftermarket radio, but I found several at Crutchfield.com. There now is a module that you program and you don’t lose you heat/AC controls etc.  I replaced my unit in my 09 and actually GAINED options (engine gauges, tire pressure,etc) with the module, but my heat/ac controls were never controlled via my radio.  I recall when reading the program options it was there.  The unit is called a Meistro I think. My UConnect unit would not work with my IPhones so I removed everything and now have a Kenwood unit that sounds and looks great.  Total cost was about $600.

All that being said, there are chats about the hands free module failing and not turning off.  Do you have an extended warranty? Not sure if that is actually part of the radio or a separate module.  In my 09 it is a separate module. You could try either pulling the fuse for the handsfree (no idea which one, but I recall someone here did that, maybe they will chime in) or replace the factory radio.  Replacing the factory radio could be expensive.  You might be able to get one from a wrecker, but you have no guarantee it will be any better.

let us know what you do......

Edited by OhareFred

I would pull the radio fuse AND leave it out for  how ever long it would take to see if the radio was the problem,, and if that doesn't stop the problem i would disable the the Bluetooth  and see if that is causing the problem ,good luck

1 hour ago, Missjenn713 said:

Short answer is that it would be quite inconvenient to pull the fuse on average the 5 times a day I turn my car off and it’s on the passenger side. I really feel Dodge should take some accountability for this issue considering many have this exact issue.

You can rough it and not have the radio work, easier than ripping apart the wiring to test.Take a bluetooth speaker for a while.

• Official Dodge Support
2 hours ago, Missjenn713 said:

This certainly sounds like a frustrating owning experience, Missjenn713. Have you had the chance to bring your Journey to a dealer recently for assistance? If not, we do recommend scheduling an appointment to have their team look at your vehicle. If you'd like help from our team at any point, please let us know.

Kate
DodgeCares

• 3 years later...