Drivers side seat broke

TanyaE

I know my seat is a little weird in normal operation. I don't know if it's a defect, but when I adjust and recline and then try and get set up, occasionally one side's clasp doesn't lock 100%. Usually when I shuffle my butt and rock in the seat the lose side clicks into 100% clasp=locked position. 

I'm no NSTB investigator, but my working theory is:

[The following is pure speculation:]

Maybe the RH(right hand) recliner clasp wasn't %100 engaged due to otherwise normal wear and tear/low build quality. During the impact, the g-force  of the driver's mass (must have been a hell of a hit) pushed into the seat hard: The force reclined the RH side rearward because the clasp was only '50% latched', as opposed to the LH side clasp was 100% latched  and didn't move an inch. After the impact, the clasp re-engaged at %100 in the new position (the same way a driver normally wiggles their but in the seat to engage the reclining clasp, in normal use). The toque on the seat's internals are acting like a spring, and are putting LOTS of pressure (in opposite directions) on the two claps- and just like pressure on a house door's deadbolt make it difficult to unlock, this force will make pulling the recliner lever difficult, and it won't be sufficient to release the either of the clasps to return the seat back to it's upright position- and even if you did apply sufficient leverage  (via putting forward pressure on the LH side, or downward on the RH side of the seat back) to free the clasps, ... the seat is probably be so twisted, neither clasp will be in alignment again - making it a safety hazard prone to repeat this kind of deformation again in a repeat accident.

TL:DR; 
1) If you repair this car yourself, Don't reuse the seat unless you accept the risk of this happening again to you. 2) Secondly, don't don't repair and resell the car with this original seat, knowing that such an accident could occur again, hurting the spine/back an unknowing occupant. It's Unethical, and their injury or death would be you saving a few bucks by reusing the damaged seat. ;)