Car warming up quickly after replacing heater hose assembly.

shockbom55

Hey guys. I'm new to all this car repair stuff. I was driving home one day and my car began to overheat and smoke less than a quarter mile from my home. I heard a loud pop and it instantly cooled off. Upon inspection I found the coolant reservoir cap had popped open and all the coolant in it had shot out. I let it cool down and then went to get some antifreeze/coolant and put it in. I noticed that as soon as I would pour it into the radiator it would leak out from underneath. I then realize the t-joint to the heater hose assemble was completely corroded and both hoses has broken off. Stupid me I kept filling it with distilled water or antifreeze to get to and from a few blocks away. I ordered the entire heater hose assembly that came with the metal piping and the lower t-joint and hoses. The tech at the dodge house told me I'd be ok in just replacing the hoses and t-joint that broke. 

I did that and now I have noticed my car literally warms up after 2 mins of driving. The dial stays in the middle but it scares me because the heater is warmer than I have felt since I started leasing the vehicle. Also the coolant goes from the max fill line to the min fill line withing 2 days. I have not seen any more leaks, but am terrified that there is further damage or I missed a step. The weird thing is that the coolant in the radiator has not gone down. Air conditioner works perfect as well now. As before it started fogging up the interior of the car. Also noticed I can leave the car off for over an hour and it will still be warm to an extent when I go to drive it. Any help would be appreciated. 

probally had a air pocket  in the block after the loss of the org coolant, you fixed the problem and the loss of coolant going down in the bottle probally because the air bubble is getting pushed out, as long as you dont see any other leaks and you shouldn't have to add any more coolant to the reservoir bottle hope you replaced that cap as well, you dont mention the temp of the engine when running as long as it stay in the normal range, you might want to replace the thermostat as it could be stuck closed or part way closed and it is probally the org thermostat in there....good luck and report back on what you do and how it all turns out......also as long as you have the coolant bottled filled and working properly your rad level should stay at the same level that is the job of the reservoir bottle and cap

Hey I really appreciate the reply and welcome gesture!! That makes me feel so much better. Buying this vehicle as a family vehicle at around double the value because of less than average credit. The company only gave me 30 days to have inspected and literally 3 months after starting payments this happened. It has been amazing up until then (Even though the bluetooth feature stopped working and it will randomly switch between radio stations. I have always driven trucks so it is a new experience. 

Just to clarify, even if the reservoir tank only has coolant to the Min line, I shouldn't have to add any more? There is very limited info on all of this stuff. I went to 2 different auto zones and a place called advanced auto parts. Then I tried o'reilys and noone even knew what the part was. I literally bought 2 t-hoses and tubing that weren't even similar to what I brought in because everyone was sure it was correct and would work

14 minutes ago, shockbom55 said:

Hey I really appreciate the reply and welcome gesture!! That makes me feel so much better. Buying this vehicle as a family vehicle at around double the value because of less than average credit. The company only gave me 30 days to have inspected and literally 3 months after starting payments this happened. It has been amazing up until then (Even though the bluetooth feature stopped working and it will randomly switch between radio stations. I have always driven trucks so it is a new experience. 

Just to clarify, even if the reservoir tank only has coolant to the Min line, I shouldn't have to add any more? There is very limited info on all of this stuff. I went to 2 different auto zones and a place called advanced auto parts. Then I tried o'reilys and noone even knew what the part was. I literally bought 2 t-hoses and tubing that weren't even similar to what I brought in because everyone was sure it was correct and would work

i always fill mine almost to the 3/4 line or close to full line ( id rather have more than less in case you get a leak), they always ship them from the factory with the minimum amount of fluids. coolant,power steering and brake fluid   big cost saver for the company...as for the t part that broke kind of a journey problem has been talked about in the forums quite a bit on your problem ...click on the forums button and take your time to check all the different point of interest...i would def check out that thermostat issue they say they are really easy to change..good luck

20 minutes ago, shockbom55 said:

Also the company I'm getting this from sold me the vehicle knowing there are 3 different recalls that have not been completed

recalls will be fixed under the chrysler dealerships dime, anytime you want them done  at least you got the newer journeys they redesigned the brakes and made them bigger

33 minutes ago, larryl said:

I think you have to use a Mopar antifreeze not just stock Prestone off the shelf

68048953AB HOAT coolant which is generally Pink/Orange in color depending on how much use it has been put through....that said you shouldn't mixed reg prestone with what was left in your system, (they say it will gel up and cause problems)just do a flush Not that hard to do yourself and then use the    HOAT coolant and use distilled water if it is not 50/50 mix

Edited by 2late4u