Caliper Bracket Craziness

JourneyJunk

I ordered a replacement rear caliper bracket and it showed up and thought everything was going smoothly.... then my nightmare began!!

I've spent about 10 hours over the past week trying to figure this out.

I have a 2012 Journey manufactured in April of 2012 with brake code BRE. Supposedly the Caliper Bracket (also sometimes called an adapter) I need is  Mopar #68192437AA, which is Cardone #14-1269. I have 328mm rear discs which confirm I have the brake package for cars manufactured after March 23rd of 2012. Before this date Cardone claims you need #14-1257 which Amazon lists the same dimensions for, even though earlier models used 305mm discs. Possible, but unlikely the caliper bracket would be identical dimensions, right?

Amazon and eBay both list the size of Cardone 14-1269 as length 7.2 inches, but I contacted Cardone and they told me the length of both is 6.793". Which is the size they sent me, and my brake pads and caliper pins won't fit because the size is too small. My brake pads are 5.125 inches long so I definitely need a bracket over 7 inches long.

My theory is Cardone is run by a bunch of idiots and that 14-1257 should be smaller (6.793 inches) and 14-1269 should be bigger (7.2+ inches) and that Cardone is selling them as the same part in different boxes. 

I have tried to hammer out the pin stuck in my bracket, but I don't own a vise and my torch is out of gas, and just want to buy a replacement. Can anyone help me!! 

Will Mopar #68192437AA actually fit my car? Can anyone tell me the width of tab openings for the pads for this part? Cardone claims they sell this part re-manufactured, so I'm tired of buying the wrong parts and sending them back. My brakes are dragging as I drive, and create an ungodly sound, not only is this embarrassing but my gas mileage is horrible!! Money is very tight right now, so buying an entire caliper is not an option.  

9 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

did you buy from rock auto? i usually only buy mopar and or local parts store so i can verify before or after and easier to exchange .good luck finding out what you need, why not run buy a local parts store or dealership with your old part in hand

I bought from CarID and the customer support person didn't know the difference between inches and millimeters and I don't think she ever worked on a car in her life. I don't live near an auto parts store (closest is 30 minutes away) and trying to find a ride into town is tough because I work a lot and most my friends and family are also really busy. I mean yeah I can make it happen but would make my life easier if I can just buy online. Also the part I need is out of stock at the popular auto parts store in my city so that leaves the dealer and will probably cost 300% more.

Edited by JourneyJunk

Take the time to go somewhere (semi) local to you and get it figured out right there and then. My feeling, brakes are a pretty important part and I want to make sure I get the right quality part that I need. Like you said, you've already spent over 10 hours trying to figure out the wrong part, you've spent more money on your time than you should. 

Good luck. 

Probably some good advice. I will take some measurements and draw out a sketch with all the key dimensions labeled and take that into town. Hopefully I can find the part I need. After talking to CarID and Cardone they have me thinking that part is more rare than a unicorn, which is weird because that part was used for 3+ model years across 4 vehicles in the Chrysler/Dodge/Ram lineup. Most auto parts stores are using private label Cardone parts (example: Wearever), so I will just get the OEM which hopefully will be what I need. 

17 hours ago, JourneyJunk said:

I bought from CarID and the customer support person didn't know the difference between inches and millimeters and I don't think she ever worked on a car in her life. I don't live near an auto parts store (closest is 30 minutes away) and trying to find a ride into town is tough because I work a lot and most my friends and family are also really busy. I mean yeah I can make it happen but would make my life easier if I can just buy online. Also the part I need is out of stock at the popular auto parts store in my city so that leaves the dealer and will probably cost 300% more.

the parts store may not stock that part but it can be ordered and when it comes in you could check them measurements well before buying is there a oriles or advance auto or nappa close by as you didnt state where you live?