2012 Service AWD light, traction light, ABS light...and more!

uckybay79

On my way to work earlier this week, cruising along the interstate at a nice smooth 72MPH when my cruise control kicked off, my traction light came on, my ABS light came on, and the service AWD message appeared in the display. The traction light and abs light has stayed on since then, and the service AWD message resets everytime I turn the car off. When I start it up and get to about 10mph, the service message pops back up. I have unhooked the battery and left it unhooked for an hour but the ABS and traction light won't go away at all.

I have read post after post regarding this issue, and at the moment I assume it's a wheel speed sensor. My question is, how do I know which one it is that needs replaced? I have a cheap OBDII scanner that doesn't show any fault codes. I assume that my scanner is only reading codes from the check engine light since I'm getting no codes from the other lights.

Would a parts store like autozone or advance be able to use a scanner to see what sensor is bad (if in fact that is the problem), or does this require a diagnosis from a Dodge Garage?

Thanks for any advice.

nope they cant read abs codes, happened to my 2014 couple months ago ended up being the right front wheel sensor, i was having my plugs and coolant changed out at the dealership and had them fix it only cost me $58 for the part and labor dont know if they gave me a cut on the price due to the other work or not...part usually runs from 20 -50 depending on which one,your local garage might can read the code if they have the real expensive one but i didnt want to buy one just for this

7 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

nope they cant read abs codes, happened to my 2014 couple months ago ended up being the right front wheel sensor, i was having my plugs and coolant changed out at the dealership and had them fix it only cost me $58 for the part and labor dont know if they gave me a cut on the price due to the other work or not...part usually runs from 20 -50 depending on which one,your local garage might can read the code if they have the real expensive one but i didnt want to buy one just for this

Did you have the same lights on the display? ABS, traction control, etc...?

• 1 month later...

I had the front left wheel sensor replaced, that is the code that it was throwing. They cleared the code and before I pulled out of the parking lot, the ABS light (and others) was back on. They are telling me now that the front wheel bearing is bad and that is why the light is on. I do hear a little roaring when turning, and I have a bearing/hub assembly ordered for delivery this week. Could a worn front wheel bearing be a reason for the code, or should I be concerned that something else is going on?

yes,, it could from what iv read on the subject, now i would also be concerned about the awd service light,you said it keeps coming back on after going off.i dont have and dont want awd but have you ever had it serviced?????  as that might as well be the cause of your light problems.. a lot of posters here here have had problems with the power transfer unit low of fluid and other problems. i would replace the wheel bearing hub first then later on i would advise you to have the fluid serviced on the power transfer unit as well as that can be $$$ to replace and it also is a bitch to service from what iv read about...good luck and keep us informed on what you find out.....

The only reason the light is going off is because I had one of the "snap on" computers clear it. It comes right back on as soon as the car moves about 50 feet. The only code it is throwing is the front left wheel sensor. Here's to hoping the wheel bearing fixes it. It needs replaced anyway. 

I'll update after I put the wheel bearing on, which will hopefully be mid week.

This car has been a real pain. It has had A LOT of problems over the past several years.

2 hours ago, uckybay79 said:

The only reason the light is going off is because I had one of the "snap on" computers clear it. It comes right back on as soon as the car moves about 50 feet. The only code it is throwing is the front left wheel sensor. Here's to hoping the wheel bearing fixes it. It needs replaced anyway. 

I'll update after I put the wheel bearing on, which will hopefully be mid week.

This car has been a real pain. It has had A LOT of problems over the past several years.

well it is only 7 yrs old things do wear out dont know if you bought it new so dont know the upkeep on the service items plus where it has been driven i live in al so when i have to work under the car or brakes its a breeze because no rust, plus i do all the service or have it done at the times they are req, i had the trans fluid  changed at 70 k plugs and coolant at about 92 k