20014 Journey 3.6 rocker replacement no more ticking!

The other day I got some new rockers and some other stuff. I had planned to replace the spark plugs and thought I should also look into the rockers because of a slight ticking noise (more noticeable cold. Hardest part for me was removing the intake manifold (not too bad).  Yep, #5 cylinder had a  bad rocker on the second intake valve, the rocker's roller was loose on it's little shaft. I found some scoring on the edges of the cam due to the sides of the rocker rubbing on the cam, but other wise the cam looked pretty good. I don't know how long it had been this way, since we bought the car with the tick already present and the car has 112K, everything else seems pretty good. And, we got it for a pretty good price, probably due to the ticking. At first I was a bit worried about doing the repair and the cost, but it came off pretty easy. I've done allot of work on other cars but this was a different animal, so much of it plastic and those little push-in plastic anchors to deal with. I'm an old school Ford and Chevy guy with some VW, Volvo and Subaru experience along the way. Nothing like this.  Thank God for 100K spark plugs!  I think the ones I took out must have been the originals, Champion and still looked pretty good, but were replaced.  Took me about 4 hours to do the job, less than I thought. I had taken it to a couple Auto Repair places including the dealer to get an estimate, cheapest was about $1000 and the Dealer was saying around $2000 and up. I did it for less than $100 with new plugs and still have some extra rockers incase it does it again.

My only advice is get it done when it happens, don't wait too long and you'll save damage to the cam, which will save allot of money. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, I had an oil change and my car came out with a loud tapping and I had them rechange the oil because I thought they put in the wrong weight oil and it is still tapping.

Edited by Mecc198
Misspelled word

• 1 year later...
On 2019-06-03 at 10:01 AM, Mecc198 said:

Thanks for posting, I had an oil change and my car came out with a loud tapping and I had them rechange the oil because I thought they put in the wrong weight oil and it is still tapping.

Confirm that the correct oil filter was installed.