Our dog wants to drive

Got a heck of a scare this week.  We were driving (just starting off) about 50 km/h (30 mph) when the dog suddenly jumped from the back seat into the front seat pushing the gearshift into P.  We got this horrible clicking sound and I immediately pulled it back into D.  I pulled over, and then started again and everything seemed okay.  Our driveway is on a hill, so when we got home, I put it in P and it stayed, so I guess we didn't do any damage to the parking pawl.  Thank God!  Apparently the transmission has to be dropped to replace the pawl.  A couple of grand if it breaks I have been told.  I guess we were going too fast for it to engage.   So, all is well.  I didn't need another big bill, so I was very happy.

I just wanted to post this to let other people know to be careful because the gearshift can be moved when driving.  I guess the system will override it if it goes into reverse.  It might cause a problem if you are going slow enough to engage the parking pawl when driving.  Your trip could come to an abrupt stop!  

Be careful out there!

mechanical-idiot

PS.  Yes, the dog is still alive.  No volunteer Pawl Bearers (pallbearers) required.  Pun intended!  LOL