P0303 after hot restart only.

VE3LLV

Wife has a 09 with the 3.5L.. In the morning or when it's been sitting a while, it runs great. She can drive for 100's of miles and no problem. BUT when she shuts it off, even for 5 seconds and turns it back on, we get a P0303 code. I replaced the Coil pack and the plug. Same thing. She can drive 100 miles or 3 miles, but as soon as she tries to restart the code pops and runs like crap. If I take it to the corner store just a few blocks away and restart it runs fine.. Just if she drives more then a mile or so.. She can take it to work and take it home, as long as she dont shut it off. Also the CEL will flash when she accelerates when the code is up. If she coasts, no flashing, but still runs like crap. I looked at the wiring going to the coil packs on 1-3-5 and it looks like the wires got hot and melted some of the plastic, so I just patched it with tape. Not sure if thats related? Thanks. 

Edited by VE3LLV

I did fix them. I cleaned and checked the wiring, and retaped the wires. I did that when I replaced the coil pack. Wires look fine now. They were not burnt like shorted wires would look like. The wrapping was just melted a bit like they got hot. I figured it was just heat coming from the engine block. But if it's not the heat, what could be causing them to get hot? And what would cause whatever drives those wires to only act up after the car is restarted. Like she can drive 100 miles with no issues, until a restart.. 

I want to preface...  I'm not a mechanic.   Why not just replace those wires rather than using the repaired ones?  Eliminate the easy stuff.  At least you'll know for sure if they are the problem.   Maybe there is some sort of damage that you can't see, but acts up when hot after a restart.  It seems to me that these new cars have tons of sensors and who knows when those sensors talk to the ECM.  Maybe a hot restart alerts the computer to a problem, and it goes into limp mode.  Clearly I don't know what your problem is.  Just trying to help.   

Peace.