Over cooling maybe?

Igotjesus88

Good morning,

Hoping to get a quick response. So, this morning I woke up and it was 30 degree F outside. That is cold for where I live. Usually it is around 60 in the winter. Normally my temp gauge is around the middle of the gauge. Not sure what temp that is. This morning my temp wouldn't go over a quarter of the gauge. I looked this time on the display and it said 150 degree F. My heat wasn't near as cold as usual. After 30 minute it got to 170 and then back down to 160. Should I change the thermostat?

Thanks you in advance. 

2013 if the coolant hasn't been changed yet, then yes i would replace thermostat the and do a flush and then all new approved coolant also have them clean out the overflow bottle also.thermostat....... the outside temp should not have that much affect on your engine temp,

1 hour ago, Igotjesus88 said:

Thank you! OK will do. It is 2013 3.6 130,000 miles. I'll change the thermostat and fluid and see what happens. 

with that many miles then you are overdue for spark plugs and the transmission fluid change as well better to to reg maintenance than wait for a problem to due damage to the journey. good luck and report back what you find out

OK, so I don't have the money to flush out the system yet. I did change the thermostat though. Before my car wouldn't go above 150* F. After installing the thermostat it got up to 210* F or so and it started cooling down. So much better. The heat worked great. I plan on changing the spark plugs soon. Also I'm gonna change the Trans fluid and filter my self.

Thanks guys! 

1 hour ago, larryl said:

Make sure you use Mopar tranny fluid and nothing else to save yourself aggravation  

also dont over fill or under fill it, the new trans depends on the temperature and other things to determine the level ,check out you tube on it...i also would use a mopar filter as well

just make sure what ever fluid you use that it is approved by mopar, the have specs listed on the bottles... check your manual for the correct type of fluid or better yet go  your local dealership and ask them which type of fluid to use for your journey dont cheap and or take the wrong advice....also be aware of this trans needs to be at a certain temperature  and a lot of other variables to fill it to the correct level from what iv read and heard ,its not like the old drain fill and check with a dip stick method, hope you dont screw it up could cost you big $$$$$ trying to save a few $$. good luck

3 hours ago, 2late4u said:

just make sure what ever fluid you use that it is approved by mopar, the have specs listed on the bottles... check your manual for the correct type of fluid or better yet go  your local dealership and ask them which type of fluid to use for your journey dont cheap and or take the wrong advice....also be aware of this trans needs to be at a certain temperature  and a lot of other variables to fill it to the correct level from what iv read and heard ,its not like the old drain fill and check with a dip stick method, hope you dont screw it up could cost you big $$$$$ trying to save a few $$. good luck

I gotcha. Is Trans temp on the dash not accurate enough?

On 1/20/2019 at 7:32 AM, 2late4u said:

have no idea as i had mine changed at the dealership when i hit around 60 k early i know but hey cheaper than replacing a bad trans.

So, I did it. Wasn't bad at all. Dropped the pan and got exactly 5.5 quarts out like the manual says. I was surprised because I have heard so many people say that they got alot more out. Changed the filter, cleaned the magnet, cleaned the pan, put rtv on it. Bolted it back up. Ended up putting 6 quarts in. That got me to 20mm at 110 degrees F. Sorry that this thread turned into something totally different though. I appreciate the advice.