Hello, I'm new to this. But I recently got my 2017 Journey back and I went to plug in my USB flashdrive with my music on it, but for some reason it won't read it. I tried a different flashdrive and it still wouldn't read. So I formatted the original one and replaced the music and it still didn't read. Then I checked to see if the USB still even worked by plugging my phone charger into it and it worked fine. Should I buy a new flashdrive?

It needs to be 32 gigs max, I think.  Fat32 format.  My advice if you want to use the usb port is to pick up an iPod.  They're cheap, they work well, and you're only limited by the size of the iPod.  You'll also have playlist functionality.  Good luck.  Search this site.  This has been discussed.   

Peace. 

It is a 15gb flashdrive. It worked just fine before and I'm not sure why it all of a sudden would have stopped. I wasn't sure what possible issues there could be. I already know I could buy an ipod but its Christmas season, I can't do that right now for myself.

The USB is not limited to 32GB, at least on the 8.4 system. The SD card is. The USB does have to be formatted in FAT32 and the music has to be in Mp3 format.

I have been successfully running a USB with 60GB. Trial and error taught me the limitation as far as formatting. One thing to note...I had recently plugged my USB directly into a router to access it from computers in the house. This is something that I have successfully done before but it did not work this time. Also, as a result, a small portion of the music will not read in my Dodge now. On inspection, the router had added files to the USB that were not there before. The flash drive is currently waiting to be reloaded before going back to the Dodge. I am updating my home music files first before updating the flash drive.

Edited by Summer Solstice

4 hours ago, Summer Solstice said:

The USB is not limited to 32GB, at least on the 8.4 system. The SD card is. The USB does have to be formatted in FAT32 and the music has to be in Mp3 format.

Thanks for the correction.   I use my iPod so I'm not familiar with other usb drives.  My iPod works well for me.  

Peace.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:31 AM, Summer Solstice said:

I have been successfully running a USB with 60GB. One thing to note...I had recently plugged my USB directly into a router to access it from computers in the house. This is something that I have successfully done before but it did not work this time. Also, as a result, a small portion of the music will not read in my Dodge now. On inspection, the router had added files to the USB that were not there before. The flash drive is currently waiting to be reloaded before going back to the Dodge. I am updating my home music files first before updating the flash drive.

An update:

I have reloaded the flash drive and am now running 68GB of Mp3 files. The flash drive is a 128GB drive and the default format is exFAT. All I did was delete all of the existing music files and left the drive operating files intact. I then reloaded all the files from a copy that I keep on a home drive. I do have the music divided by genre and album titles.

I maintain a lossless format of all of my digital music at home and also keep a Mp3 copy of everything in a separate file for easy transfer to a portable drive. When I add something to the existing files, I also make a copy in Mp3 format and add that to a separate file for future transfer to the portable drive. The browse and search functions on the Journey make it easy to recall anything that I may be in the mood for.

No more cassettes for me. Now all I need to do is convert the vinyl and put one of the tube consoles in the car. :2thumbs: