New Owner - Compass/Navigation Question

I just purchased a new to me 2014 Dodge Journey R/T. It has the 8.4 screen with NAV.  I have two questions.

First, i do not see Compass on the EVIC. I read somewhere about flashing or disconnecting battery for 30 minutes or more. Is this the recommended troubleshooting steps or something else to do?

Second, when i go to Navigation, it never finds my location. Do I need a subscription for that?

2 hours ago, bramfrank said:

With the Nav there are no compass settings.  Heading is derived from the GPS

Maybe this is true.  My 2011 RB5 with Nav has these settings, and while I cannot absolutely prove dysfunction,  the compass in my vehicle has been erroneous when the setting was not as described in the manual.  Dunno.  There is also a calibration procedure outlined in my manual.  My compass seems to be accurate when I am not driving.   The OP may have a GPS problem that is affecting the compass.  I did not see any display settings for the EVIC concerning the compass display in my manual.  If I were in the same situation as the OP, I would begin by having the GPS and compass systems checked.  

As far as the DVD chatter in this thread, playing a DVD in the front row while driving is simply silly and should not be done. 

Peace. 

• 6 months later...