Sensitive Brakes

Bruno

I have a new to me 2014 Journey and am shocked at how sensitive the brakes are. Haven't had them looked at yet to see if there is rust or some other issue, but thought I would check in here first to see if this is a common issue. Pressing the brakes more then just a little, they really grab and will throw passengers forward. I am getting used to it, but then this AM mother nature dumped 6 inches of snow onto wet roads, making for a skating rink, and grabby brakes became a little scary. 

Does the Journey inherently have sensitive brakes, or should I be getting them looked at?

So only 1 other person feels their Journey has grabby brakes? That being the case, I will get them looked at.

It is not a morning issue only, but I find I have to be gentle when applying the brakes - which is fine normally, but if someone cuts me off, or any other issue where I need to quickly slow down, they really grab and will throw passengers forward, making it feel like I over reacted to someone in front of me, not to mention brake checking the person behind me. 

I am sure 'I will get used to it' - but I am looking more for comments from those with some knowledge of the Journey braking system to comment on if this is normal for the model, or indicative of even a small issue. As I mentioned, it is a small irritation on dry roads, but a bigger concern when now facing ice on the roads.

21 minutes ago, Bruno said:

So only 1 other person feels their Journey has grabby brakes? That being the case, I will get them looked at.

It is not a morning issue only, but I find I have to be gentle when applying the brakes - which is fine normally, but if someone cuts me off, or any other issue where I need to quickly slow down, they really grab and will throw passengers forward, making it feel like I over reacted to someone in front of me, not to mention brake checking the person behind me. 

I am sure 'I will get used to it' - but I am looking more for comments from those with some knowledge of the Journey braking system to comment on if this is normal for the model, or indicative of even a small issue. As I mentioned, it is a small irritation on dry roads, but a bigger concern when now facing ice on the roads.

If it is something way out of the norm, it wouldn't hurt to take it in... Especially if you feel like no matter how lightly you press it seems to brake harshly. I know there are a few chain shops that also check brakes if you don't want to spend the money to go to the dealership. Firestone, Pepboys, Midas, Jiffy Lube all offer brake inspections. 

Hi there, from personal mechanic experience the only time people usually experience brakes "grabbing" is usually on the rear due to a dodgy load sensing valve which may not even be fitted to these vehicles... or badly adjusted  brake shoes.

if the vehicle has none of the above parts fitted I would suggest that the brakes on this vehicle are way more effiecent and therefore more sensitive than the vehicle you usually or used to drive and probably work just fine.

i say this as I'm a mechanic and so regularly jump from vehicle to vehicle of which I'm not familiar with, and fairly regularly find myself about head butting the dash as some cars brakes are just way more sensitive than others. You'll notice it most from driving a real old car then a real new one, the brake pedal travel until contact happens can vary by inches hence. 

Rossco

Edited by rossco

16 minutes ago, rossco said:

Hi there, from personal mechanic experience the only time people usually experience brakes "grabbing" is usually on the rear due to a dodgy load sensing valve which may not even be fitted to these vehicles... or badly adjusted  brake shoes.

if the vehicle has none of the above parts fitted I would suggest that the brakes on this vehicle are way more effiecent and therefore more sensitive than the vehicle you usually or used to drive and probably work just fine.

i say this as I'm a mechanic and so regularly jump from vehicle to vehicle of which I'm not familiar with, and fairly regularly find myself about head butting the dash as some cars brakes are just way more sensitive than others. You'll notice it most from driving a real old car then a real new one, the brake pedal travel until contact happens can vary by inches hence. 

Rossco

Great info, really appreciate it!

From the reading I have done, I was wondering about the rear brakes being the culprit. What I find is the top half of the travel feels 'normal' and then it hits a spot where they suddenly grab. So normal braking it is not too bad, but if you get cut off or have to push harder then normal, you go into that 'grabby' section and do the head butt thing (and assist your passengers to do the same. 

I'll get it booked in to have it looked at.