Dealers are asses

bramfrank

Well, I won't use the dealer closest to me because they blew up the engine in my old LHS and tried to stick me with the bill - small claims court resolved that one . . . then there's the fact that they wanted $3K more than the dealer I have been using since I got my '11 when I purchased the present Crossroad - and they bravely tried to justify the price difference because 'we're the largest Chrysler dealer in Canada'.

Yeah, right.

So I purchased both of the DJs I've owned from this other dealer, and I live outside that dealer's local shuttle area, so it is always a question of going in and waiting, because they won't give me a loaner for a day job (which I understand) and they won't take me where I need to go.  The terms of my 7/115/zero deductible bumper to bumper extended factory warranty are that I get a loaner if the car needs to stay overnight - but they actually argue about that by saying they'll rent me a car on day two . . . .

Guys, why do I need to phone the customer support line to explain your business to you each and every time?

Last December, when my vehicle was approaching the 36 month point they tried to tell me to have certain work performed as it would 'no longer be covered by FCA'.  They explained that diagnostics and computer updates were no longer covered, so they wanted me to pay them for a once-over for my vehicle.  At the time I declined and phoned FCA Customer Service who told me that it was indeed covered, as long as any flashing wasn't frivolous and the problems they were diagnosing were for covered components.

And, yesterday the dealer did it again!!

My check engine light came on last week-end.  Solid on, so not all that serious, it seemed to me that the oil pressure gauge was way too high and I figured that the sender had gone again . . . but I've had this once before and the problem self-resolved.

Now, my dealer has a 'quick service' bay and I found myself driving by their place last Monday so I went in.  They wouldn't even pull the codes.  Not even if I waited however long. They DID give me an appointment for yesterday afternoon for which I showed up on time and with a laptop so I could work while they determined and repaired the fault as well as executing the cruise control recall.  I figured I'd be there for about 2 ad a half hours with the pressure sender change, so I settled in and started writing e-mails.

After about 90 minutes the service advisor came to tell me the vehicle was ready, so I went to collect my keys and they presented me with a bill for a half hour ($70 plus tax) of work.

I asked what this was for and they tried to tell me that the diagnostic and the repair (which apparently involved reflashing a module, presumably not the same one that was involved in the recall) were chargeable.

Really?  It sure doesn't say anything about paying for software updates, which are issued to correct issues in the previous versions, nor does it say I pay for diagnostics;  In act it says it extends the bumper to bumper factory warranty with certain exclusions (consumables, which are ALWAYS excluded and trim and paint).

I pointed out that if the vehicle turned on the check engine light that it either determined that there was a fault beyond any consumables or that the diagnostic system itself was defective, both of which are indeed covered by the warranty.  I told them to cancel the charge at which point they said they would 'remove the update' and that 'the check engine light will come back on'.

I told them to go ahead, because;
1. You cant roll back an update, as far as I know and
2. even if you can, I could take the vehicle to any other dealer and have the update re-applied

Need I say that the light is off?

I also pointed out that moving forward they'd not be selling me a 3rd vehicle nor performing any further service on the one I own now.

On the way home I called Customer Service who reconfirmed that diagnostics (when they determine a covered fault) and reflashing were indeed covered by my warranty and that the only time I'd be expected to pay is when they are dealing with non-covered items (brakes fluids, bulbs, wipers, tires and so on plus trim and paint).  They also referenced my call from last December, where I asked the same questions.

hey DID call the dealer; I wish I could have heard what was discussed; and when they came back said tat the dealer reported that he hadn't charged me anything, which is true, but the work order states that I refused the diagnostic service ad does not say what was wrong nor what they did to fix it.  I asked if I should bring the unit to another dealer and her answer was a very reasonable 'if the Check Engine Light' is off then they must have resolved the problem and so, not to bother.

The moral is simple;  Most dealers suck and they try to rip people off and upsell unnecessary services.  Know your rights and stand up for them.  They probably make a killing from uninformed clients.

Don't be among the suckers.

Edited by bramfrank

Bramfrank, I completely feel your frustration and did have a very frustrating instance with another dealer (Ford, not Dodge). With that said, I will throw in that there are some very honest, reputable dealers. I have been taking my DJ to Putnam Doge in the Bay area, California and have had no issues (to this point). I did not buy the car there, but they are the closest, most convenient dealer to my location, and they have been excellent. I have been there for my recall notices, warranty items, and basic maintenance items and have not had any issues. I have brought it in for minor issues and they have helped me with no problem. If anything additional comes up, they call me right away and ask what I would like to do and offer a secondary solution. Just feel that we should be fair and give praise to the good ones out there knowing that there are some not too positive ones. I do agree that everyone should know their rights and question anything you do not feel comfortable with.

I can say I went to one dealer who was a scammer (my selling dealer, who was fantastic, closed shortly after I bought the Dodge), but the second dealer I went to,and continue to go to, is again fantastic.  Maybe in the States we have more dealers available, which causes more competitive, or we have stronger laws, but it seems our friends in Canada are stuck with 1 or 2 dealers.  The dealers know it and figure “screw you,”!  Very unfortunate situation, hope you can find a dealer half as honest as mine!  Best of luck....