Base model upgrades from nicer models

Chiller449

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a 2012 Journey. Its a base model so it doesn't have any of the nice stuff the better models like the sxt or the r/t has. I was wondering how much stuff off of a nicer model would swap onto mine to make it look better. For example Mine does not have the LED tail lights. It just has the regular bulb type. Could I just swap LED tail lights onto mine from a journey that had them? Things I would like to change are the tail lights, maybe fog lights since mine does not have any, Headlights, maybe power seats if the wiring is there. I also heard you could get the journey with a third row seat? Mine just has the extra storage space in the back but if i could mount the brackets back there and throw the seat in i would do it in a heart beat. Plus any other upgrades you guys would recommend. I would love to put the better radio in it but i heard its a huge pain to go from the 4 inch screen to the bigger one so ill stick with the small one.

Honestly I wouldn't put too much into it. I don't know how long you plan on keeping it but you're going to end up spending way more than you'll get back for any upgrades. a 2012 base model is valued at around 8-10k, the stereo upgrade itself is about 1500 for the 8.4, another 1k for rims and so on. These upgrades definitely add up, so you just need to consider that you're paying for the car, and then thousands more for the upgrades (which won't add much when you trade in or sell). If you do plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off I'd go for the 8.4, crossroad or sit wheels, black trim  headlights from higher trims (crossroad and GT) as well as the blacked out grill, backup camera, fog lamps and tail lamps. Try to find as much as possible from after-market manufacturers too instead of mopar, it'll be much cheaper that way. I definitely wouldn't consider the third row... you'd spend almost the value of the vehicle retro-fitting that, and you won't have the third row overhead vents. 

Wow that video was really helpful. I swore i read somewhere that it was a huge pain to switch from the 4 inch to the 8 inch. Guess i was wrong. I will definitely be doing that upgrade. As for why i bought a base model in the first place, It was like a last minute credit builder for me. I could only get approved for a car at the one lot and this is the only journey he had that had relatively low miles and wasn't beat up. Im not worried getting my money out of it because with what im paying after paying off the loan is way way more than i could ever sell this thing for. So for that reason and the fact that im gonna have it for probably at least 5 years or so id rather spend the the money and make it look nice. Thanks for the help everyone. 

One last thing. Is the wiring for the fog lights already there? mine just has the honeycomb plastic covers and i would really like to have the factory fog lights instead.

Edited by Chiller449

I don't think the wiring is there. You'd have to replace the headlight switch also in order to use them unless you use aftermarket fog lights (they would have their own switch). If you want the OEM ones I'd recommend checking that the housing is the same size for the base model since they have different lower front bumpers. 

Edited by lmoore1436

57 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

I don't think the wiring is there. You'd have to replace the headlight switch also in order to use them unless you use aftermarket fog lights (they would have their own switch). If you want the OEM ones I'd recommend checking that the housing is the same size for the base model since they have different lower front bumpers. 

Alright thanks. Im thinking I might just wire them directly to the low beams with a relay. Ive heard other people wire them that way with no problems.

Edited by Chiller449