Starter Housing Breaking

Silk

We have a 2011 dodge journey, have had it for 5 months and in the past two days we have gone through two starters. The car started to make a very loud rumbling noise and so we looked it up and it said check the starter so we check the starter and the housing where you bolt it to the engine was sheared off completely. We bought a second starter attached it yesterday and today after getting a couple of starts out of it heard the same grumbling whining noise I looked under took everything off pulled the starter to find out the second starter also had the attachment housing sheared off. Have tried to locate anything on the internet cannot really afford to take to a mechanic for them to break something else or make our problem worse so we are trying to figure out on our own what it would be that would cause the starters housing to be basically torn in half.

20171230_135558.jpg

20171230_134259.jpg

That sucks when you put a part on and it lasts 10 minutes.  Very frustrating!

A couple of things could be wrong.

Are you sure the starter is sitting flush/flat?

Did you use the shims?  Sometimes you need shims to properly seat the starter so it doesn’t hang up.

Are you over/under tightening the bolts? 

Did you check the mounting surface for some kind of defect?

The way its breaking tells me something is stressing the housing, obviously.  The question is what.  Maybe some others will have an idea.....

I had a problem with a 2.2l in my old Dodge shadow it would break the starter drive  occasionally.  It drove me crazy trying to figure out why.  My answer came when the flex plate finally broke. Do you have any noises or other symptoms?  maybe debris in the ring gear teeth?

Hank