Sliping tranny

WREED6223

Got in the car this morning, started it up and put it immediately into drive and gave it the gas. It felt like the tranny was slipping as it crept forward. Took my foot of the gas then reapplied it and it acted normal and accelerated. Any one experienced this? Had a check engine light on the dash the day before but it went out after checking if the gas cap was tight and taking a 15 mile drive. Calling the dealer to see if they have any info on this.

Wild Bill

I notice that same thing on my Journey when I first back it out the garage in the morning. It does it whether it is hot or cold outside, so it's not temperature related. It almost seems that the oil drains out of the torque converter overnight, and this is what is causing your slipping sensation, again, mine only seems to do this the first start-up of the day, then it's fine for the rest of the day.

I, too, have notice a low-speed "weirdness" when I first start up at the beginning of the day. I have not been able to put my finger on what exactly it is so I can't even describe it. Not sure I'd describe it as a slipping tranny, though.

Anyway, I did come across something, either in the printed manual or DVD (can't remember where), that stated that the electronic stability control system goes through a self check the first time you start up your car and begin rolling at a slow speed (5-7 MPH, I think). I've just attributed the "weirdness" to that and have been pretty happy just ignoring it. I also found that if my first acceleration out of the driveway is mild, I don't notice the phenomenon at all.

• 1 month later...

I just bought my 09' journey se last night. while i was at highway speeds, 65-70mph, there was some slipping in the tranny. The dealer is setting me up with a service appointment asap. i haven't noticed a low speed slip "yet". I will update when i have more information.

I've got the same "first thing in the am" slow speed slip. If you try to go out the garage without waiting about 10-15 seconds, you creep. Even if you press the gas. Put it in park & go, its fine. Just figured it was building up tranny pressure. Never slips any other time. Have had my 09 since July 08 and now have about 13,000 miles on it

V-6 w/6speed autostick

• 2 months later...

Got in the car this morning, started it up and put it immediately into drive and gave it the gas. It felt like the tranny was slipping as it crept forward. Took my foot of the gas then reapplied it and it acted normal and accelerated. Any one experienced this? Had a check engine light on the dash the day before but it went out after checking if the gas cap was tight and taking a 15 mile drive. Calling the dealer to see if they have any info on this.

Wild Bill

• 1 month later...

Oh dear....slipping tranny.I'm not sure if this has the same meaning in England as it does in the US of A. And its got nothing to do with cars......

Hmm i dont think the transmission is slipping. With low end accelerations i feel that the transmission just shifts rougher than quicker accelerations. I dont feel a slip but more of a slight jerk.

But if i really hit the gas it seems to shift smoother into higher gears. I believe its just the nature of the vehicle :mellow: