Winter Tires

GrimmCanuk

Hey guys! I recently purchased a full set of Toyo GSI 5 studless tires for my Crossroad, and they're the best set I've ever used on a vehicle. They are, in my opinion, the best for SUVs. Awesome deep tread, tons of room for snow and slush to escape. More aggressive looking. 

However, I did downgrade from 225/55 R19 to the 225/65 R17 for the bigger sidewalls. 

Snow grip - 5

Ice grip - 4 1/2

Handling - 5

Noise - 4 (in town) 3 (highway)

Living in the cold snowy reaches of northern Canada, the stock Kuhmo all-weather tires on the 2016 DJ are no good, you might as well be falling off a cliff when you try to stop on a spit of ice with those tires. They couple extremely well with the AWD feature, making driving in heavy snow and slippery ice a breeze! Just don't forget to drive for the conditions. Blazing through a snow packed slippery tight corner at 60mph is gonna land you in the ditch even if you have the best tires in the world!

Highly recommend taking a look at them.

https://www.toyotires.ca/tires/observe-gsi5-passenger-cars-minivans-suv-s-and-light-trucks

And if you live in Manitoba I highly suggest getting them on the MPI Winter tire program ( https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Rd-Safety/Winter-Tires/Pages/winter-tire-program-overview.aspx ) as the total cost of steel rims, tires, tpms, and installation was $1950CAD, and the program will cover up to $2000CAD. I probably could have found a better price online but no one in town other than my local dealership had decent pricing. Plus I didn't want to pay freight on tires. 

Will post pics after I get off work!

Edited by GrimmCanuk

• 4 weeks later...

looks good grimm, I think your pics just sold my wife on a set of steelies/snow tires. Any consideration with a wider tire? Just a thought, tirerack.com automatically converted the wheel size to 225/65 R17. I was just thinking maybe a little more rubber might not be a bad thing. 

9 hours ago, OlDirty said:

looks good grimm, I think your pics just sold my wife on a set of steelies/snow tires. Any consideration with a wider tire? Just a thought, tirerack.com automatically converted the wheel size to 225/65 R17. I was just thinking maybe a little more rubber might not be a bad thing. 

Actually, for snow, a thinner tire is better. The reason for this is that traction is achieved in winter by cutting through the ice and snow. With wider tread, you're more likely to start snow plowing or floating on top of the surface instead of pushing down and through. This floating will result in loss of traction sooner than with a thinner or narrower option. 

Not gonna lie I just stuck to manufacturer recommendations for the winter tires. Personally, I don't stray away from it. And so far after a month and a bit of use, these tires are still amazing. I've also been through some deep snow with them, and with the V6 power they have some awesome control. 

Hey at least in Canada yall have manners and curtisy in Illinois first snow of the year worst driver competition baby who can hit the most shit and fill the ditches! 

I'm looking forward to my first snow with the journey, I have had small cars Buick, etc I managed to unstick them from almost anything even my Chevy caviler I never got it stuck. Now a journey with selective shift so I can manually downshift omg almost as nice as 4x4

14 hours ago, jkeaton said:

Actually, for snow, a thinner tire is better. The reason for this is that traction is achieved in winter by cutting through the ice and snow. With wider tread, you're more likely to start snow plowing or floating on top of the surface instead of pushing down and through. This floating will result in loss of traction sooner than with a thinner or narrower option. 

I stand corrected. thank you very much sir.

6 hours ago, OlDirty said:

Hey Grimm, any chance of you knowing where I can get a pair of steel rims like the ones in you picture?

Any auto wrecker will have lots of 17 inch wheels that will fit.  Just ask for Journey or Caravan wheels.  They are the same.

H.P.

• 1 year later...