2015 Backup Camera wiring not present

I had some extra time tonight and I pulled the lift gate trim off to check for the backup camera wiring.  I checked all the way back to the rubber grommet from the gate to the body with no luck. It is definitely not present contrary to the popular belief that it was there whether you had the option or not. 2015 Journey R/T.  

The R/T comes with the 8.4" display standard these days.  And I could never find the wiring in my Crossroad which also came with the 8." display.

Strangely the pins in the connector at the rear of the radio module dedicated to the video input  had wires in them, suggesting they were there, but for the life of me I couldn't find the other end.

I had purchased the 2011 kit so I ran the wiring to the front and had my dealer make the connections when I brought it  in to have the sales code added. 

39 minutes ago, journ said:

just went thru the process a few weeks ago, my journey wasn't prewired, had to run an RCA and buy this adapter http://www.navtool.com/2011-2018-dodge-journey-video-interface.aspx

You didn't need the adapter unless you have the 4.3" screen - the 8.4 has a direct composite video input on 3 pins of the TGM.

5 hours ago, bramfrank said:

You didn't need the adapter unless you have the 4.3" screen - the 8.4 has a direct composite video input on 3 pins of the TGM.

Do you have a pin out or wiring diagram for that?  I'd love to not have to spend $300 on the Dodge camera if I can get something else to work for far cheaper.

6 hours ago, bramfrank said:

I thought so too, but without the adapter, the camera doesn't activate in reverse.

1 hour ago, stiers11 said:

Do you have a pin out or wiring diagram for that?  I'd love to not have to spend $300 on the Dodge camera if I can get something else to work for far cheaper.

I don't have the link handy, but you'll find the information on which pins are used (and it becomes obvious which 2 are the shield and ground and which is the composite video input) in the installation manual for the 2011 backup camera kit.  It is out there for the googling.

On 8/3/2017 at 10:41 AM, journ said:

just went thru the process a few weeks ago, my journey wasn't prewired, had to run an RCA and buy this adapter http://www.navtool.com/2011-2018-dodge-journey-video-interface.aspx

Journ, you mention just going through the process so I was curious...do you have the 4.3 or 8.4 screen? And out of curiosity, how much did you end up spending total with the adapter, installation, and camera (I assume)?

• 1 month later...

I picked up an OEM camera from a Junked out 2012 Journey.  They cut the cables on the body end and left the connector, so at least I know what I am looking for as far as the connector and wiring goes.  

I still haven't been able to find the wiring anywhere.  If I have time tomorrow I am going to pull the radio cover off and check and see if I have connections and grab my line toner from work and try and find the end of them. I've tried calling a few dealers but haven't been able to talk to a tech who has actually done an install before.

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

Oddly the wires were in my 2016 Crossroads.  I had the dealer install the camera and enter the sales code and all was good in the world.  No wires were ran in mine. At least the dealer never stated or charged me for the harness.

so did you buy the camera yourself or did the dealership use the mopar camera and parts from their parts dept. how much did the total amount cost you?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is the link to the instructions I mentioned in the above post last year.  The kit is specific to the 2011/12/13 models, which explicitly did NOT come with the wiring, making it ideal for those newer units that supposedly DO come with wiring that no one seems to be able to find. and noting that the kits for the later models do not come with the cabling. It should provide all the information you will ever need, with the exception of the fact that to get the old rear handle assembly and bezel off the hatch you need to undo a nut from the inside first:

http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/K6861161.pdf