It is very easy to do if you already have the 8.2 inch display.  Less so if you don't.

This is my second Journey.  I went the Garmin route on the old one, but did the upgrade on this.  I also added the backup camera to mine.  I find the integration makes a HUGE difference and I have zero regrets.

• 11 months later...
On 12/10/2016 at 6:20 AM, bramfrank said:

It is very easy to do if you already have the 8.2 inch display.  Less so if you don't.

This is my second Journey.  I went the Garmin route on the old one, but did the upgrade on this.  I also added the backup camera to mine.  I find the integration makes a HUGE difference and I have zero regrets.

What do i need for this? Or can you direct me to the correct thread? I have the larger screen and want to add navigation and the backup camera.

21 minutes ago, 2015JRT said:

What do i need for this? Or can you direct me to the correct thread? I have the larger screen and want to add navigation and the backup camera.

You'll need to swap out the radio module, which contains the navigation hardware and you'll need to install the backup camera.

The radio module swap takes about 10 minutes - you'll need to 'unlock' the radio by entering a code that your dealer (or others, some of whom hang around o this board) can provide, followed by a call to SiriusXM to transfer your service, if you have a subscription, to the new module - if you get a 3rd generation radio you may already have (or else you ca subscribe) to traffic service.

You can install the camera without changing the radio - once you've installed the camera (assuming you do the work yourself as I did) the dealer will need to add the 'sales code' to the vehicle to enable it.  The sales code tells the radio that the vehicle has a camera - and does not need to be re-entered when you swap the radio out.  Camera installation in my vehicle took me about 2.5 hours.

As it happens, I have a spare nav sitting on the shelf available for purchase (I bought it before I figured out how to recover from the 'can't unlock maps' problem that affects a percentage of the units - and the one I put I my car never acted up (at least not yet) in any case.

It isn't rocket science, though I warn you that the first few times you use the camera you do need to look around when backing up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, Everyone I'm new here and this is my first day on this. First question how do I know what Radio unit I have ? re2 or rb4/5?  is there way to tell by the serial number. I do have a 8.4 screen.

I bought a 2017 dodge journey cross road last week , and it doesn't come with a back up camera or nav. Bramfrank did you have a stock back up camera that you installed on your journey or aftermarket? if aftermarket can you send me a link on where you got it please? was it plug and play ? I'm thinking about going to some junk yards that have dodge journey and see if I can find one with nav, but it will be hard without being able to power up the vehicle to see if has nav, that's why I would like to know if there is a way to tell if its a nav unit by the  numbers on the back or so. I bought this journey for my wife and she is driving crazy about having the back up camera installed.

I have not tried the dealer on prices for back up cameras. . I can only imagine. As far as the Nav I'm the one that wants it in her vehicle, so she don't keep burning our data plan when traveling.

If you are in North America the non-nav radio is the RE2 and the Nav radio is the RB5.

If you don't have a 'Nav' soft key next to the phone icon on the lower edge of the display you have an RE2.

I installed the OEM backup camera - I bought the 2011 kit which came with the wiring harness; good thing, since try as I might I was never able to find the back end of the video cable that I am certain was installed at the factory.

I had the dealer make the connection to the rear of the radio when I took the vehicle to them to have the sales code for the camera applied.  It was essentially free, since they were going to carge me for an hour of service to flash the code an they claimed it was a 20 minute job to insert the pins in the connector.

I was there for 2 hours because the tech/mechanic had to work harder than he expected doing the pins, but the dealer still only charged the one hour.

• 6 years later...