Installing HID lights on your Journey (step by step)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't stress enough on how important it is to upgrade to projector headlights. Never mind this HID in reflector housing. That's just stupid and ignorant. Sure you think there is no glare above the cut off. But when your driving down the road and all the signs light up that means there is way to much glare and that's also in oncoming drivers eyes. I've stressed it before and people still say the cut off still looks the same, sure it looks the same but HID is not supposed to go in reflector housing that's why is going to be illegal to run them soon. If u want true hid performace go buy a projector and see what I'm talking about. Look at my pics in my gallery.

post-9678-0-21734000-1431272634_thumb.jp

post-9678-0-46592800-1431272654_thumb.jp

post-9678-0-58157600-1431272711_thumb.jp

post-9678-0-28377100-1431272744_thumb.jp

Edited by Cody Chornobey Powley

Exactly. LEDs do not project light like a halogen does. Still get lots of glare. If you wanted to upgrade bulbs use HIR bulbs. If you wanted to upgrade fogs I would go with trs led fogs. Those perform really well from the way they are built in the housing. I'll be upgrading g to them over the summer sometime

• 6 months later...

Ok so I have a 2011 and I can not get the HID to work properly in this vehicle to save my life. I installed them the regular way then the lights would stay on until I went to drive then the passenger light would start going on and off and then it just cut off and stays off and it would do this every time then I installed with the relay harness and harness has power but the lights won't cut on, please help me understand this vehicle

I am using a harness with a large capacitor inline to absorb the PWM signal that the vehicle gives. The pulse width modulation doesn't give a steady 12 volt signal to the relay which will cause some relays to open and close rapidly. Basically, the signal will pulse from a lower voltage signal to a higher voltage signal constantly. I also have a resistor wired in on the passenger side to avoid light out warnings.

With the relay harness are you getting them to work at all?

The harness I have is the Mopar specific harness from TheRetroFitSource.com and is built well. I purchases the resistor and a plug for the passenger side separately. There are some relays available that will operate on less than 12 volts too, which may also help.

Edited by Lobitz68

When the wiring harness is attached the lights don't power on at all but there is power when I check it with the voltage meter

So they don't work whether the car is running or not? Some harnesses have the power and ground pins switched. Have you tried flipping the plug from the harness to the ballast 180 degrees? Can you hear the ballast powering on?

• 7 months later...

Hi, new to this forum.  I just wanted to clarify something.  I have an 09 Journey SXT and I plan on getting a DDM tuning HID kit.  Do I get just a Canbus kit or do I get a normal kit with relay and error cancellor?   Your help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi all! Im a newbie here but veteran over at the Dodge-Dart.Org forum!

I have driven Dodge my whole life! I had a 2006 Durango SLT HEMI, 2007 Durango Limited HEMI, now I have a 2015 Dodge Dart 1.4T 6spd.

My fiancee was unfortunately in a horrible accident a couple weeks ago where a lady doing about 60MPH blew a red light and t-boned her... She is fine! She was smart enough to see the lady and speed up enough to have the rear driver's side door hit instead of the driver door... 

Anyways, we went ahead and bought her a brand new 2016 Journey SXT Blacktop! YAY for another DODGE!!!! LOL

My fiancee LOVES the journey thus far but the first thing she told me when we drove off the lot was, "Babe, I want those cool headlights that you have on your dart!"

I have XenonSupply 6000K HIDs on my dart, and they are the CANbus slim ballasts.... https://www.xenonsupply.com/collections/dodge-dart/products/dodge-dart-hid-xenon-kit

They came with the wiring harness and the capacitor BUT when I hooked everything up they "worked" but i was getting a bulb out notification on my dash... I took the harness and capacitor off and plugged the ballasts directly into the OEM plugs and have not have any issues since! No flickering, no light out messages... NOTHING!

I have been told by a member on the Dodge-dart.org forum the reason for this is because the dart has a CANbus system and since the ballasts are CANbus compatible they DO NOT require the wiring harness or capacitor!

NOW, my final question for everyone here would be... Does anyone know if the 2016 Journey also has this CANbus system integrated?

As XenonSupply does make HIDs for the journey, I would like to go with them again! They are a great company, their products are well manufactured and their customer service is amazing!

Heres a link for the Journey HIDs: https://www.xenonsupply.com/collections/Dodge-Journey (they have both headlight and fog light HID kits)