Thinking about trying all weather tires

Hankster

I ran all weather treads on all of my cars from about 78 on (before that, I had just regular summer treads, and that was in Minnesota) until my wife found out about Blizzacks, when our oldest child started driving (around 2003). I still have them on my work car, but last winter will probably be the last time she lets me get by with it.

Just put Toyo Vernado all season tires on my '13 RT...only have a few hundred miles on them now. Ride nice, wet and dry traction has been superb. Tread looks plenty aggressive for any snow that I would drive in, however, we don't spend our winters here...no snow in Benson, AZ and we tow our Cherokee TrailHawk when we load up the bus to get out of Dodge.

• 1 month later...

I inquired about all weather at Kal Tire wanting to get an overall year round tire. They told me that a fellow employee tried on his DJ wthout happy results. I was told they are a directional tire and after you rotate the tires they become noisy. He said he would sell me what ever type tire I wanted but, he could not recommend them when most all driving is highway. Buy a good quality tire all season and I would be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

My wife and I just purchased two sets of P235/55/R19 Toyo Celcius CUV all weather tires for both of our Journeys.  We each have an 2012 Journey R/T AWD.  We bought them used with low mileage so this will be our first winter with them here in southern Ontario Canada.  We usually have dedicated winter tires, but really liked the idea of not having to change out the tires every fall / spring - so we will have to see how they perform over the next couple of months.

We weighed out the cost of the Winter only tires + steel wheels vs. the permanent switch to the All Weathers...in the end we opted to just have one set ...  We looked at the Toyo Celcius CUV and the Nokian WRG3 tires - and decided the Toyo was a better lower cost option for us - some user/owner feedback on the durability of the WRG3 + the initial cost - pushed us away from them.  Regardless, the Kuhmo's had to go ...

I will update the Forum of our impressions of the Toyo's at various intervals over the coming winter....

I'm interested in the outcome of this experiment. 

My personal feeling is that, like anything out there that is 'general purpose', all season tires are a compromise, both in tread design and tire life which will end up costing more per kilometer over the life of the all-weather tires than the cost of having a separate set of dedicated tires designed specifically for snow and steel rims for winter use, especially if one spends the hour it takes to swap them over at home twice each year.

I agree that the overall cost / km will likely be somewhat higher ... however, we are in Windsor which is not really known for major snow storms ... most winters are -5 degrees to + 5 degrees with mostly wet snow, freezing rain, etc...We used to live in Barrie and commute into Toronto daily and in that situation - I would have had dedicated winter tires in a heartbeat!

The Toyo rep indicated that the mileage warranty is 100,000 km for H rated and 80,000 km for V rated tires - plus road hazard is included for about $200 bucks a tire installed.  Dedicated winters + steel wheels and TPMS were $275.00  / tire all in ... I put up a new thread about this which I will keep up to date over the next several months ...

Cheers.

Lee