$10 Black out Grill

WaywerdSon

Did you tape off the honeycomb mesh and spray just the chrome trim...or did you just spray it all?

I realize this isn't directed toward me, but....

I removed the entire grill from the vehicle so that I could get it clean and, more importantly, dry... I them sprayed the entire grill and put it back on. You could do it on the vehicle, but you need to put some plastic or cardboard behind the grill to protect the radiator and other stuff up front.

The chrome trim can also be removed, but I didn't feel like it was worth the risk of breaking one of the tabs, so I just sprayed everything.

I realize this isn't directed toward me, but....

I removed the entire grill from the vehicle so that I could get it clean and, more importantly, dry... I them sprayed the entire grill and put it back on. You could do it on the vehicle, but you need to put some plastic or cardboard behind the grill to protect the radiator and other stuff up front.

The chrome trim can also be removed, but I didn't feel like it was worth the risk of breaking one of the tabs, so I just sprayed everything.

Cool thanks for the reply. I figured it would be way better to spray the whole thing then trying to tape off just what you wanted to paint and not get the honeycomb.

Now I've got to decide if I want to do this. If I do, I'll probably want to spray the door handles to match since it would look kind of weird to have a black front grill with chrome handles. And the roof racks would still be chrome. Ah, sounds like too much work, I'll probably just stick with the chrome accents as is. I'm not even sure how hard it would be to remove the roof racks and door handles.

You wouldn't need to remove the roof rails or the door handles to do it right. There are lines that separate the area you want to dip from the areas you don't. Simply tape around the area you want to dip, leaving an inch or so, and when everything cures peel the inch that is remaining around the handle and roof rails. That's the beauty of this stuff, how easy it is to work with while remaining quite durable.

You wouldn't need to remove the roof rails or the door handles to do it right. There are lines that separate the area you want to dip from the areas you don't. Simply tape around the area you want to dip, leaving an inch or so, and when everything cures peel the inch that is remaining around the handle and roof rails. That's the beauty of this stuff, how easy it is to work with while remaining quite durable.

I would be scared to get plastidip on my paint though! I guess it peels right off though, just scary... I may give it a shot in the future. Good idea!

I would be scared to get plastidip on my paint though! I guess it peels right off though, just scary... I may give it a shot in the future. Good idea!

Ha! don't be scared, your paint will be fine... I've done it plenty of times. The amount of work involved in taping stuff off like it was real paint would be a nightmare. Especially since you need to pull off all of the tape while the product is still wet...if you don't it will peel what you don't want peeled. I have my wheels, grille and lower valance all blacked out currently. The finish is thick and smooth and withstands pressure washers and touch car washes just fine. Really a great product.

No big issues, just newbie type mistakes. Got a couple thin spots and a couple texture issues, stuff ya just gotta practice a bit to get good at.Once I get it figured out, im going to do the rear bumper and maybe the lower front fascia. And if its ugly, it just comes off. Where was this stuff 40 years ago?

No big issues, just newbie type mistakes. Got a couple thin spots and a couple texture issues, stuff ya just gotta practice a bit to get good at.Once I get it figured out, im going to do the rear bumper and maybe the lower front fascia. And if its ugly, it just comes off. Where was this stuff 40 years ago?

Biggest thing for texture is staying 90 degrees to the surface you are spraying, staying 6 inches away and making sure the cans stay warm (I put them in a bucket of warm water before I start and in between coats). It's also important to have the first two coats be VERY light, maybe 50 percent coverage...after that lay them on thick and wet.

Looks nice.

I have a can of black plastidip waiting to be tapped. I was going to dip the silver colored area on the lower valance.

If properly applied, is this area going to hold up to washes, rockchips, winter salt/ice, etc.?

Yes it will. In fact, lots of people use it to protect their vehicles from the things you list. Make sure it is THICK. Thickness is key to peelability and durability.

• 8 months later...

Looks really good with your Blue DJ. And I agree that you should do the headlights. Then, it will look awesome. Good luck getting the lights apart so that you can paint them. I saw somewhere on the forum where someone had a set of black headlights for sale. Might still be available.

how hard is it to remove the the grill on a 2011 ???

should be the same as my 2014...which was kind of a pain in the ass. After you remove all of the tabs holding it in at the top, you need to reach behind it and loosen the clips at the bottom which is difficult and at many times had me worried that they would break. It isn't "difficult", but it will require some time and patience.

• 7 months later...

Ive had a few years exp with plasti dip and love it. Thinking about using it to paint a "bra" on the front of my DJ and also the side mirrors to protect against chips. Has anyone else done this?

I haven't seen it here... You should do it with a sprayer if you decide to do it. It will be hard to keep it consistent on that big of a piece with cans.

• 4 weeks later...