Out of Date Map Message from my 2011 8.4N

Can someone confirm that even if you don't get the map update, you can still use the navigation system?

As bramfrank confirmed the GPS will still work with a "so called out of date map". Personally I think it is only a marketing gimic to get you to upgrade everytime. When I upgraded last year, a service rep at Navteq told me that in his opinion an upgrade would really be only beneficial about every 2 years. Now I do upgrade my Nuvi all the time because I have a lifetime update. I do compare the two maps quite often and they are pretty similiar. Of course this is just my own opinion, yours may differ.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the shipping cost for an item that weighs only a few ounces to Canada really seems out of line. I recently recieved some items from Florida, that weighed more then a DVD and the shipping for first class postage was less then $22. The price for the map updates although high, is not the highest I have seen.

I was on a Subaru forum (my other vehicle is a Subaru), and while I was looking up something else relating to the Subaru, I took a look at a thread on the forum regarding Subaru's GPS system (my Subaru does not have nav) and updating maps. Apparently the cost of updating the DVD based system, which "had" to be dealer "installed" with labour came to about $500. Makes the $175 upgrade that you can do yourself seem like a bargain.

I agree with the others that a built in system looks better. I ordered the nav for my new Journey and despite the cost of the updating am glad that I did. I just got tired of having wires hanging down and having to make sure that I put the portable GPS away somewhere when I was not in the vehicle.

Hi all:

I ordered my upgrade yesterday (Mar 20). It is in Montreal now and scheduled for delivery to St. John's NL by 5:00 PM tomorrow (Mar 22). That's pretty good turnaround.

I spent some time on the phone with Uconnect, Garmin, Navteq and Chyrsler customer care. Chyrsler and Unconnect were zero help. Garmin informed me that they only license the software from Navteq and do not provide the upgrade. I called Navteq and they told me that most people only upgrade their maps every other year. The new release came out in January 2012.

In all cases I pleaded that I have two Garmin products: the one in my Journey and a Nuvi 255W (for which I purchased lifetime upgrades). It seems that I was the only one impressed by that.

So my 2012 DVD is on its way. I like having the current versions available but the $149 + $30 was a bit steep but at least I will have upto date maps.

After my post on the Bluetooth fiasco and now the map upgrade I feel like the disease that keeps on giving and giving and giving - if you catch my drift.

• 4 weeks later...

Updating the maps and loading custom poi with proximity alert is very easy on the uconnect. It's use the Garmin City Navigator NT 2012.40 maps. I have updated it myself using these maps and proximity alert works great. Pretty easy.

Edited by tn6478

• 2 weeks later...

Updating the maps and loading custom poi with proximity alert is very easy on the uconnect. It's use the Garmin City Navigator NT 2012.40 maps. I have updated it myself using these maps and proximity alert works great. Pretty easy.

How did you add the proximity alert? Updating custom POI it's so easy and I agree with you, but alert never works.

how did u update the custom POI?

1--- use a memory stick-not a sd card or disk

2--- create a folder named Garmin important note this is CASE SENSITIVE

3--- create a sub folder named POI also CASE SENSITIVE

4--- use garmin poi loader to load files into this folder this file must be named Poi.gpi and is also case sensitive.

5---- start vehicle let radio boot up and install memory stick and follow directions on screen

hope this helps someone out

Edited by pippo2

• 1 month later...

How did you do this?

I acquired the 2012.14 maps .img file.

Do i put it on the SD card?

Can you copy DVD Garmin map and upload it to any site so i can download it

I'm pretty sure this can't be done. The reason for this is, as I have said it is combined with the VIN number of your car and you would need that to upgrade and load the map. Just as aside it also breaks copyright agreements.

Terry

think i would have waited another year or two before updating unless you do a lot of driving and using it for your job as wouldnt think that many new roads or other things that would need updating this soon after buying you 2011, i have been using my portable garmin for about 3yrs now and havent had any problems with roads and or finding my places that i have wanted to vist.. good luck on your update

True, you don't always need the newest maps to navigate around town. But for my portable Garmin GPS, even if I plan on updating every two years, I still gotta pay for the map updates within those two years. So say I have maps from 2010 summer, and I wanna update my maps to 2012 summer, I gotta pay for 2010 winter, 2011 spring summer fall winter, and 2012 spring. I hope that wasn't too confusing. But yeah, it still costs the same to update my portable GPS, not sure about the integrated one.

But yeah, it still costs the same to update my portable GPS,

When I bought my Garmin Nuvi 255w back in 2008, When I registered it, I purchased the "Lifetime Update". Everytime I plug my GPS into either my laptop or my desk top computer it automatically advises me if there is a software upgrade or a map upgrade. The software upgrade might happen once a year but the map upgrade might happen 3 or 4 times per year. The map upgrade usually takes about 1-2 hours to complete but is very easy to do. All this is free.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I'm pretty sure this can't be done. The reason for this is, as I have said it is combined with the VIN number of your car and you would need that to upgrade and load the map. Just as aside it also breaks copyright agreements.

Terry

Your words are true 100% but I will try to break the protection and change the VIN number and I think I can do it

When I bought my Garmin Nuvi 255w back in 2008, When I registered it, I purchased the "Lifetime Update". Everytime I plug my GPS into either my laptop or my desk top computer it automatically advises me if there is a software upgrade or a map upgrade. The software upgrade might happen once a year but the map upgrade might happen 3 or 4 times per year. The map upgrade usually takes about 1-2 hours to complete but is very easy to do. All this is free.

Terry

Well, Free, after the one time fee that is ;). My first GPS was a TomTom XL when I bought my Caliber as we we were doing a roadtrip to NS From Ottawa; we had for two years and didn't purchase map updates because it came with 4 free updates, and unlimited free comunity updates, plus we mainly used it to just find locations in our local cities.

When we started noticing newer roads weren't appearing during a trip to Toronto, we upgraded to Garmin Nuvi, because we also wanted bluetooth for hands free calling. That was about 2 years ago, and for the most part it's still going strong, however I was "floating" as I drove over a new stretch of highway in Gatineau.

So basically if you're just using it for your local city and surrounding area, and there's little new development going on, you shouldn't have to update your map very often, and the device you have should work fine with the current (you'll just get the annoying reminder every so often). If you're planning a road trip, and haven't done an update for a while, extremely good idea to update your map, or pay a little extra and get the lifetime updates(if available for your device), which is obviously useful if you do a lot of traveling, or have a lot of new development your area. New Maps can also give newer features, for example, Garmin's Canadian maps never showed speed limits; From what I've seen, Major highway speeds are are now available. The TomTom actually was fantastic for this as you could set warning if you were overspeed by so much...

Of course, if you happen to wear an eye patch and are resourceful, unlocked maps are out there.

Cheers!

Steph S.

Of course, if you happen to wear an eye patch and are resourceful, unlocked maps are out there.

I certainly agree with you Steph, if you are a pirate and resourceful there are maps avilable. I know once when I got a pirated copy of European Highways from my brother who happened to going golfing in Ireland it never worked on my Garmin yet on his it did on his.

There is no doubt about it I gave Garmin an upfront fee for my Lifetime Updates, for which so far I am very pleased with, hopefully that continues.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I certainly agree with you Steph, if you are a pirate and resourceful there are maps avilable. I know once when I got a pirated copy of European Highways from my brother who happened to going golfing in Ireland it never worked on my Garmin yet on his it did on his.

There is no doubt about it I gave Garmin an upfront fee for my Lifetime Updates, for which so far I am very pleased with, hopefully that continues.

Terry

Unlocked maps really can be hit or miss. I had gotten a north american update for a UK garmin for my wife's parent in laws (not my parents...long story)a number of years ago, and it worked fine on the first shot. I had tried a couple over the years on mine, but usually had a problems, but I did find the latest 2013.10 update last night on my first shot and it worked flawlessly (before anyone asks, I will not provide it to anyone, sorry). I wanted to check to see if was worth it, which it was, so I just went out and picked up a Nuvi 2595LMT because traffic functions seemed to have improved, and I wanted hands free use for the family (although my three year old in the back tries to get it and the DJ's bluetooth to activate by mimicking what we say ...*sigh*)

I'm not certain that anyone here (and in particular US citizens, given the DMCA (*and Canadian ones too, thanks to Herr Harper and his out of touch sidekick Vic (the pr*ck) Toews)) should be be crowing about how they have violated or may try to violate the copyright acts in their respective countries.

and I just found something to do to play with my old garmin : http://www.ehow.com/...s-garmin.html :D

A site you may want to visit is www.poi-factory.com. Another is www.gpspassion.com

Edited by bramfrank

I'm not certain that anyone here (and in particular US citizens, given the DMCA (*and Canadian ones too, thanks to Herr Harper and his out of touch sidekick Vic (the pr*ck) Toews)) should be be crowing about how they have violated or may try to violate the copyright acts in their respective countries.

true enough, but there are very legitimate reasons why people try to circumvent DRM. More and more we see very shody works being sold, particularly with software, or works saying new and improved yet very little has changed, or they've removed features (as I just found out with my new garmin, now having to pay extra for ecoroute :( ), and that once you've paid for and opened, it's yours with very little chance of refund. In that respect, I'm a very big proponent of try before you buy. As I demonstrated, I tried the map, liked what I saw, and paid my dues. Obviously not everyone is like that, but there are a few. I miss the days of true shareware...

[quote name=bramfrank' timestamp='1339242045' post='20835'

A site you may want to visit is www.poi-factory.com. Another is www.gpspassion.com

very cool. thanks!

Can anybody just copy and post a image of the upgrade DVD, i wanna see the file structure

I have / know a way to upgrade the maps on the rb5, its just a big Garmin it doesn't uses nothing special.

1. Download unlocked maps

2. You just need to know what maps u are using, and the FID of the maps (gps underground . c o m)

3. Put in a stick with the downloaded maps, make sure that the map file is in a folder "GARMIN", the car will check for the update

4. The car will prompt u for the unlocking code, and it will provide u the Unit ID and the Validation Code (yes i know that on the Garmin website asks u for the product key, you don't need this)

5. pm me for the unlock code FREE, i will not ask for any money

Just provide me with the FID of the maps, Unit ID and validation code and the maps that u want to install, i will PM back with the unlock code

I will not post nor give out the name of the app that can do this because i do not want Garmin/Chrysler to patch this loophole, all i can say the app can be found on the internet and its being used to activate maps on Garmin units

Enjoy

Alex