TPMS's cracking. Am I the only one???

BLM

I find this thread interesting. We had our '09 Journey SXT (17" rims) for 47K miles before trading and never had a problem with the TPMS stems cracking or splitting. I'm guessing it's because we live a moderately temperate climate - the Mid-Atlantic region. Not like we don't see snow, just not much of it on a yearly basis - maybe 20" if we're lucky.

Those of you who have experienced this problem - are you in a cold, snowy climate?

I find this thread interesting. We had our '09 Journey SXT (17" rims) for 47K miles before trading and never had a problem with the TPMS stems cracking or splitting. I'm guessing it's because we live a moderately temperate climate - the Mid-Atlantic region. Not like we don't see snow, just not much of it on a yearly basis - maybe 20" if we're lucky.

Those of you who have experienced this problem - are you in a cold, snowy climate?

Northern Virginia. My Journey was originally from Florida before I bought it.

• 4 months later...

The funny thing is I picked up my journey today after the L25 recall and the following was on my work order:

"Please be advised if the tire presure sensor valve stems break upon inspecting tire pressures due to rust/corrosion or lack of maintence they will not be covered under warranty . . Would you still likes them checked . YES________ No____"

This is the first time this has happened to me. And do all my service/oil change and other issues at this dealer. But why now suddenly at 48,000km? I found this odd and now I am wondering if there is a problem or not.

I did not know you had to do maintnance on this TPS valve stem.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Had 2 of these pop off this week on my 2009 model. The first one happened Monday another early this morning. Good way to ruin a good tire. They charge me 75 to fix going to go ahead and replace the two that have not broke. As an fyi it starts with the sensor light coming on then pop.

• 1 month later...

Well, after seeing my indicator light come yesterday, I pulled over to inflate the tire. After tryjng to remove the cap it broke off at the end. So now, I have the cap dangling but haven't lost air pressure. (Yet) It was too cold to attempt a fix yesterday. After reseaching the problem I found this topic here. So I YouTubed changing TPMS stems but came across nothing but just replacing basic valve stems.

Knowing how to replace the stems already, can anyone tell me if I have to take it to a shop since it has the TPMS?

SERIOUSLY regretting buying this vehicle.

Thanks.

If those are the original TPM valve stems then they gave

reasonable service life for that year.

There have been a number of them that have cracked/failed

within your timeframe.

They change the design/material in 2011 to circumvent this

problem.

From what I understand, it has to be done via the dealer or some tire shops have the equipment to do it. I'd recommend calling the tire shops in your area to see if they can do it.

No dealer programming is required, the new sensors will self-learn/program into the system after the vehicle is driven awhile.