TPMS's cracking. Am I the only one???

BLM

Last winter my TPMS warning showed low. Aired up the low tire, would go down again over about 24-36 hours. Soapy water revealed a length wise split in the valve stem part of the TPMS. Harsh winters here, looks like water got inside the stem and froze, thus the split.

Seems like a bad design to me as the stem looks/feels like it's painted plastic. The first time, I figured it was a fluke. The dealer replaced it and all was fine the rest of the winter.

Well, we went to put on my winter tires Saturday and one of the tires is flat. We marked them when we took them off in the spring and I'm pretty sure this is the same wheel. Soapy water again reveals the exact same issue. TPMS stem has split. No way now to tell if it was cracked and leaking slow enough that we didn't notice it when we took them off, or if they froze up sitting in the barn in late spring. Regardless, it shouldn't happen.

Anyone else had this problem?

• 5 weeks later...
Last winter my TPMS warning showed low. Aired up the low tire, would go down again over about 24-36 hours. Soapy water revealed a length wise split in the valve stem part of the TPMS. Harsh winters here, looks like water got inside the stem and froze, thus the split.

Seems like a bad design to me as the stem looks/feels like it's painted plastic. The first time, I figured it was a fluke. The dealer replaced it and all was fine the rest of the winter.

Well, we went to put on my winter tires Saturday and one of the tires is flat. We marked them when we took them off in the spring and I'm pretty sure this is the same wheel. Soapy water again reveals the exact same issue. TPMS stem has split. No way now to tell if it was cracked and leaking slow enough that we didn't notice it when we took them off, or if they froze up sitting in the barn in late spring. Regardless, it shouldn't happen.

Anyone else had this problem?

I just had the same problem of the TMS light coming on and found one stem split. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get it replaced. Maybe I can get them to do all four?

• 4 weeks later...
I just had the same problem of the TMS light coming on and found one stem split. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get it replaced. Maybe I can get them to do all four?

I also had this problem. My tire was low and I went to fill it up at a gas station and noticed the valve stem was cracked. I took it to the dealership assuming it would be covered under warranty (I still have full factory bumper-to-bumper) and they said it was NOT covered. Am I crazy in thinking this is a mistake and should be a covered item? I've read other places (specifically the Chrysler forums) that many others had these replaced under warranty.

Someone please save my sanity and convince me that this is not a warranty item. It cost me over $130.00 to get 1 of these replaced on my tire.

I replied to your message, yes my 2 that cracked were covered, or at least replaced by my dealer with no cost to me.....and I see NO reason why this wouldn't be considered under warranty. The TPMS is not part of the tire/Kuhmo warranty and since they're required, and installed by Chrysler, why wouldn't it be considered a covered part? I think you're being jerked around.

• 2 months later...

I replied to your message, yes my 2 that cracked were covered, or at least replaced by my dealer with no cost to me.....and I see NO reason why this wouldn't be considered under warranty. The TPMS is not part of the tire/Kuhmo warranty and since they're required, and installed by Chrysler, why wouldn't it be considered a covered part? I think you're being jerked around.

I just had my tire valve thingy break in half today...I went to Pep boys after I had someone put the spare tire on for me because I have no idea how to change a tire...and they said I had to replace the whole tpms but it was just the stem part that broke. Could it be because I've been washing my car a lot before of dirt and of course yucky pollen ! Or could it be because of the pretty brutal winter Virginia Beach just had. I mean I don't have the money to just cough up to replace all four tires so I mean what should I say to the dealership because my car is only a year old and I have no idea if we had the bumper to bumper warranty. I kno I have a lifetime power-train warranty but I don't think that covers the tires. Any advice ?!!? I get paid on the 15th and plan on getting it fixed then. I can't call the dealership till Monday.

You arent the only one!!! It has happened in every country where they are sent. I am in England, mine went exactly like yours did but here they dont come with a spare wheel, only rubber gunk in a can. So i was stranded. They came out and picked it up, took it back, replaced the valve all under warranty. Its not a fault of the tyres, its a Dodge part thats failed and therefore claimable under warranty.

I was told it could be down to the winter, we had a pretty bad one here as well, it was minus something everyday for nearly 2 months. They say water gets into the valve and freezes, thus cracking the plastic of the stem. But that doesnt explain the ones that have split in Australia!!!

My valve stem split along the threads. I bought the car used at a Kia dealer. The tech said if I went across the street to the Dodge dealer and bought the part he'd install it for free. The stem cost $52.50. The (Kia) tech said the Dodge stems seem to be made of that "aluminum pot type metal". I still have under 36,000 miles and I found another stem that split so I'm going to ask the Dodge guy if it's covered.

My dealership told me to call Chrysler and I did but the damn place is closed on the weekends. So I'm taking it to Norfolk on Monday and the service manager will be there so I'm gonna ask him. Parts at Green Gifford told me its $56.35 for the part and they keep them in stock cuz two other models use that same part and then its a $20 service fee. So I mean thats better than $100 pep boys told me. I was just lucky I was at a 7 Eleven that was right next door to an Auto Zone cuz my cell phone wont let me call out and I don't have a clue how to change a tire. LoL !!

My dealership told me to call Chrysler and I did but the damn place is closed on the weekends. So I'm taking it to Norfolk on Monday and the service manager will be there so I'm gonna ask him. Parts at Green Gifford told me its $56.35 for the part and they keep them in stock cuz two other models use that same part and then its a $20 service fee. So I mean thats better than $100 pep boys told me. I was just lucky I was at a 7 Eleven that was right next door to an Auto Zone cuz my cell phone wont let me call out and I don't have a clue how to change a tire. LoL !!

Uh oh....time to learn. You never know when you're stranded and you need to change it yourself. There should be decent instructions in your owners manual or have your husband (if he's not at sea) or a friend show you. Let me know how you make out on the TPMS.

I asked if they would fix the other three and I was told no I do believe so I was just ok. Then my dealership gave me a call asking if everything was good and I said up it hasn't gone flat yet and when it does I'll be coming back. LoL !! I'm just glad its under warranty cuz I'm not even at 14,000 miles yet.

:rant:

I went today and no, it wasn't covered. On top of that the parts guy quoted to the service guy and me that the part was $75.00. :redcard: I said that I just bought the same part last month for $52.00. Needless to say it cost me $52.00 this time too. :P I also had a nail in my other tired so the total came to $110.00. :angry22: Could have been worse I guess.

Damn that sucks ! I'm sorry it wasn't covered. Some dealers are different then others. But yea it coulda been worse. I had a nail in my tire as well one time but because I was there the day before to get my tires aired cuz the light was on they missed it and didn't charge me for it the following day when I went back to tell that the light was on again. I swear !

• 1 month later...

I took my journey to a quick lube place in town (I needed the oil changed and didn't feel like sitting around at the dealership for 3-4 hours appt. or not). Since the tire light was on I asked them to check the tire pressure. They said that they won't touch Chrysler/Dodge tires that have the tire pressure monitors on it. They said that the valve stems are too fragile and after replacing several already they made it a policy not to mess with them. So I had to go to the dealership anyway (thankfully they got me right in and filled the tires within 30 min). The dealership service guy said that if the other guy did it right they wouldn't break.

I'm assuming the quick lube guys use the pressure gauge that pushes on to fill. I have one of the pressure gauges that has the clip the you squeeze and it attaches to the stem and then you pull the trigger on the handle ot start filling the tire. There is no extra pushing pulling or bending of the stem.

• 1 month later...

From the forum I note that the cracking of the TPMS valve stem is a common occurrence. I note comments from England, USA an Australia. I'm in South Africa and it is no surprise that this problem exists here. Unfortunately after correspondence with the local dealership as well as the Technical warranty department in SA, Chrysler / Dodge SA refuse to replace, what appears to be an inherent defect, under warranty. What I find amusing is that these cracked valves are replaced under warranty in other countries but not so in SA!! In SA the replacement part is approx R1100.

They said that they won't touch Chrysler/Dodge tires that have the tire pressure monitors on it. They said that the valve stems are too fragile and after replacing several already they made it a policy not to mess with them.

I'm assuming the quick lube guys use the pressure gauge that pushes on to fill. I have one of the pressure gauges that has the clip the you squeeze and it attaches to the stem and then you pull the trigger on the handle ot start filling the tire. There is no extra pushing pulling or bending of the stem.

I doubt thats the reason. Chrysler puts Nitrogen in all new car tires. Most of the quick lube places don't have that equipment. If they were to top up with air then it would be their fault if anything happened- not that anything would unless you have a higher air/nitrogen content in 1 or more tires, that tires pressure would just be fluctuating more with the temps. If the car is still under warranty take it to a dealership and have them top it up for free.

• 5 months later...

I posted this in another thread of a similar title:

I think Dodge is addressing this (or so I hope). I just had my tires changed and you guessed it, one of the valve stems was corroded. The tire guy said he couldn't order a new one from Dodge because they are all off the shelves for the time being. My guess is that they are trying to rethink the metal they use. Either way I hope they fix the problem. When I bought the car(certified used) it had a bad valve stem so they replaced it. Then another one went. Then a third. Hopefully this is the last one for a long time.

I also called the Chrysler hot line to ask them if there was a recall of the TPMS. They said it might be under the manufacturer's warrenty.

All of these TPMS are made by Shrader, an Irish company that supplies TPMS pretty much for everyone. Nissan, Ford, GM, chrysler, VW, etc...

Once in a while, i see some made by Mitsubishi, probably to pick up the slack, because these sensor are breaking faster than shrader can make them. Chrysler doesn't design them, but i bet they are sick of paying for the waranty too.

It doesn't matter if you drive a Chrysler, or Toyota, they all get corodded and break. Quick Lube place don't want to touch it simply because if it breaks, they do NOT have any equipment to service tires. It is easier for them to just not take the chance. While in a Tire shop, they can at least take it out and replace it with a Rubber Valve Stem, and send you down the road.

What can you do to help prevent this from happening is Never use metal/chrome valve stem caps!!! Only use plastic caps, and leave them loose. when the valve stem cap goes missing, replace it immediately. So keep a few in ur glove box. you can get a pack for like $2 everywhere.

If the cap does Seize onto the valve stem, do not go for a plier. You will have to get a grinder and split the cap in halve, very carefully.

But of course, over years of beating by harsh weather, they will eventually give up, just like anything else.

As for the Newer car, Shrader finally decided to use a Rubber valve stem that can be separated from the TPMS, so ppl don't have to pay $100 every time it fails.

All these Gadgets and Options on car, they Nickel and dime you in the long run. I alrdy seen a lot of ppl just give up on the TPMS thing, live with the light, and just put 4 rubber valve stem in, which we have been doing for the last 100 yrs.

• 2 months later...

What can you do to help prevent this from happening is Never use metal/chrome valve stem caps!!! Only use plastic caps, and leave them loose. when the valve stem cap goes missing, replace it immediately. So keep a few in ur glove box. you can get a pack for like $2 everywhere.

If the cap does Seize onto the valve stem, do not go for a plier. You will have to get a grinder and split the cap in halve, very carefully.

But of course, over years of beating by harsh weather, they will eventually give up, just like anything else.

I made the mistake of putting chrome valve caps on the TPMS stems. I had one break while trying to take it off with pliers. The dealership replaced the stem under goodwill, but wouldn't try getting the others off because they wouldn't cover them under warranty. I've spoken with Dodge on two accounts and both times they've told me they won't fix them under warranty. Now I'm stuck in trying to get the other three off without breaking the stem. Sucks when you spend about $5 for nice caps and now I have to spend over $300 to fix the problem. All because no one warns you of the potential problems.

Steak, you mention using a grinder to get the cap off. What kind of grinder do you suggest? Something like a Dremel?