2013 DJ R/T Towing harness & pull behind camper question

2013RT

I got a 2013 Dodge Journey R/T with the 3.6

I understand the capacity is 2,500lbs. I got my buddy to install a mopar hitch on it a while back and told him to leave off the harness as the only reason i got the receiver installed was because we hit the ditch one winter and realized the vehicle has zero places to tow from...(Mind boggling)

Anyway, no wiring harness.

There are two kits available.

56146 - Short-Proof Conversion Kit $51.20

56187 - Standard Kit $49.95

These are after-market kits, does anyone know anything about these, buddy just said they are aftermarket kits and he gets them from his "supplier"

Next question,

The camper we are supposed to rent this year is a 2002 Troy Tahoe Lite 19ft. according the owner, the dry weight is supposed to be 1860lbs but I couldn't confirm as the label was all peeled off. Can't find consistent info online on that specific model.

The trailer itself is gonna be quite a bit taller and a stick out the sides of the journey I think.

What do you guys think? Its a really good deal but if it messes with my journey I need to pass on it.

2 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

i don't think you'll have any trouble towing that.  19' isn't that long and the dry weight is within the towing capacity.  The DJ should have plenty of power to spare too.

But I couldn't actually confirm the weight. I would assume the older trailers are heavier than the new ones.

The newer ones around this size are around 2800lbs.

I would be very surprised if this weight is correct. I'm pretty sure it's 3000lbs and more. From what I can see it's seem to be an hybrid travel trailer and these normaly are not light! I would say that the number he gave you is in kg not in lbs, it would make more sense. My pop up trailer weight almost 2000lbs!

Yes the DJ have plenty of power but the problem is the transmission not the motor. I would not recommended you tow that trailer with your DJ

On 3/24/2017 at 9:24 AM, 2013RT said:

But I couldn't actually confirm the weight. I would assume the older trailers are heavier than the new ones.

The newer ones around this size are around 2800lbs.

hook it up and go to any truck stop or garbage dump they all have scales to weight you just subtract what the journey and your weight.

The problem is transmission capability and the "full face" of the trailer.  That width and height is the show stopper, regardless of weight...your DJ was designed for pulling a trailer with very little wind resistance; a utility trailer with a load under 2500 lbs or a small pop-up that meets that weight limit loaded.

I have towed RVs for quite awhile and my 21' Fun Finder weighed in at ~6000 lbs loaded and on the road.  The quick, down and dirty, method for estimating the towing weight is to look at how many axles it has.  The RV industry as a rule will put 3500 lb axles on a full size trailer, hybrid or not.  If it has a single axle, you should still weigh it as that would indicate that it could be over 3000 lbs. loaded.  If it has 2 axles, don't even bother to hook it up...definitely over the limit.  Remember, on travel trailers, the "advertised" weight is always for the stripped down model as it rolls off the assembly line.  I've never seen a TT that didn't have a few options and, as a rule, you can add 300-500 lbs. or more to its true empty weight.  Add food and clothes, etc. and you can quickly be 700 lbs. or more over the advertised weight before you ever put it in drive.  Another dead giveaway is whether it has its own brakes.  Most states require brakes on any trailer with a GVWR over 3000 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...

Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector is the one I used, I just taped into a live wire in the back from the wiring harness that is supplied. Most of the journeys come with a connector for a wiring harness some just have to be activated via software, then you buy the harness from Dodge for plug and play type of thing. Or buy the third party harness like I did, takes a little work but it is something that can be done.