Water Spots On Seats

erictarnow

Hello everyone,

Just bought my journey in September and really like it. It is a 2009 edition with about 36000 miles and it's running very well. The only issue I have is with the interior upholstery. It's not leather and it's not fabric but I suspect it is the same interior as the Caliber. Any way, I noticed that whenever water gets on the seats, it absorbs the water and leaves these ugly water spots. And it's just water from the rain on our coats or clothing. I tried some auto foaming cleaner but it doesn't get rid of it. I can't imagine that there isn't a way to get these stains out. It is just water so perhaps taking it in to get steam cleaned would work, but has anyone else had this issue? If so, what product did you use to remedy it. I suppose I could take it to the dealer, but I thought I'd check here first. I hope there is an easy, inexpensive way to get these stains out. Plus, once the stains come out, what should I use to guard from this in the future?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Eric T.

I think the problem is related to the seat protection applied to the fabric (this is done from the manufacturer of the seat materials). I had a Jeep Liberty and would set a bottle of water between my legs while driving, and as a result this would leave a dark mark on the seat. When the Jeep was new (and under warranty) I would complain to the dealer. At that time there was a Service Bulletin about this problem and they would clean my seats, and no I don't remember what they used to clean my seats. Ask your dealer about the problem and they should be able to give you some good advise.

Hope this helps, and Happy Motoring...

Hello everyone,

Just bought my journey in September and really like it. It is a 2009 edition with about 36000 miles and it's running very well. The only issue I have is with the interior upholstery. It's not leather and it's not fabric but I suspect it is the same interior as the Caliber. Any way, I noticed that whenever water gets on the seats, it absorbs the water and leaves these ugly water spots. And it's just water from the rain on our coats or clothing. I tried some auto foaming cleaner but it doesn't get rid of it. I can't imagine that there isn't a way to get these stains out. It is just water so perhaps taking it in to get steam cleaned would work, but has anyone else had this issue? If so, what product did you use to remedy it. I suppose I could take it to the dealer, but I thought I'd check here first. I hope there is an easy, inexpensive way to get these stains out. Plus, once the stains come out, what should I use to guard from this in the future?

Eric T.

I have an '09 SE Plus with the black/grey fabric seats. I've had the same problem with all my seats, the least bit of moisture and the grey part stains (rain, water bottle, damp bag, anything). Particularly the front passenger seat. It is absolutely atrocious. As soon as I started noticing problems, I brought them to the attention of the dealer who suggested ScothGuarding the seats. After treating the seats, the problem actually got worse. The dealer suspects its something leeching out from the seat upholstery, so really, the only way to stop it is to replace the whole seat - The dealer is none too happy about this prospect as you can imagine...

Amazingly, the '10 Journey SE has black on black seats hmmmmmm.... I'm pushing Chrysler to replace all the seat covers with '10 covers, their response was 'Have you considered going with leatherseats (Katzkins @$1400). Oh and they also suggested I could get heated seats too for 500 more. Why would I spend my own money to solve their warranty issues. Chrysler - Are you listening.

I don't know if you've considered seat covers, (I know that is not the solution you were looking for) but even if the dealer cleans the seats you might consider seat covers. I have the CoverKing brand, you can read about them here:

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php...pic=844&hl=

They are made of CR-grade neoprene (wetsuits) so I have no water staining issues!

Happy Motoring...

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it. I may go with the seat cover option seeing as doing an interior cleaning would be almost $200 any way. I've just never seen water spots like these and I'd hate to have them cleaned, only to have to do it again, especially with the cost involved. If anyone has success stories of getting these stains out, and keeping them out, please post.

Thanks again,

Eric

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello everyone,

Eric T.

I have the same problem with the grey upholstry, and I have dogs!! The seats are a mess. I was afraid of the cream/black interior offered in 2009 because of the dogs, but probably would have been better off. The best, cheapest way to deal with it - buy a Little Green Machine (Walmart of Canadian Tire, under $100) and you have to clean the whole seat surface. this does a wonderful job, but I am having to do it approx 4x per year with the pets. Or seat covers but unless you get good fitting ones, they look awful. It is just the 2009 fabric, as I did not get fabric protection on it and nothing is leeching out. I did apply Scotchguard myself, but it does nothing but smell up the car. It is my one and only pet peeve about the car. Just signed papers on a 2011 SE+ last night with the black interior so let's see how that goes. I have read somewhere that you cannot apply fabric protection on the upgraded 2009 seats, as well as any of the upholstry afterwards (2010/2011) due to the protection already built in. Any comments?? I have the dealership checking on that for me as it's then $200 I don't need to spend, but certainly will if it prevents marks in the future.

Hello everyone,

Eric T.

I have the same problem with the grey upholstry, and I have dogs!! The seats are a mess. I was afraid of the cream/black interior offered in 2009 because of the dogs, but probably would have been better off. The best, cheapest way to deal with it - buy a Little Green Machine (Walmart of Canadian Tire, under $100) and you have to clean the whole seat surface. this does a wonderful job, but I am having to do it approx 4x per year with the pets. Or seat covers but unless you get good fitting ones, they look awful. It is just the 2009 fabric, as I did not get fabric protection on it and nothing is leeching out. I did apply Scotchguard myself, but it does nothing but smell up the car. It is my one and only pet peeve about the car. Just signed papers on a 2011 SE+ last night with the black interior so let's see how that goes. I have read somewhere that you cannot apply fabric protection on the upgraded 2009 seats, as well as any of the upholstry afterwards (2010/2011) due to the protection already built in. Any comments?? I have the dealership checking on that for me as it's then $200 I don't need to spend, but certainly will if it prevents marks in the future.