Fuel Mileage v6 awd

Steven Harshbarger

So, I recently picked up this 2016 Journey Crossroads AWD v6 and fairly new to this forum.  I drive on average about 400 miles per week between my commute to work and misc trips in the evening.  My previous SUV was a Chevy Equinox v6 awd.  My mileage in that averaged 23 miles per gallon.  The DJ is rated for 24 mpg I think highway but I was only seeing 20-21mpg driving the same speed, same roads.  I've read the complaints about the DJ before buying and seems like alot of people complain about the mpg not being so go.  I too was seeing this and figured its was par for the coarse.  Still really like driving the DJ so mileage is what the mileage is.  Since the SUV has almost 12k mileage on it, I figured I'd swap out the air filter. I personally like to swap them around 10k or clean them at that point if I have one that can be cleaned. I thought I'd try AEM Dry filter (28-20470) in the DJ and see if it helps/hurts/stays the same.  Over the years, I've used performance filters in almost all my cars and mostly used K&N drop in's but since they're oiled, I've been using dry filters that are cleanable.  I have the AEM dry filter in my SRT and saw really no noticeable difference mileage or performance but peace of mind for me that I can clean it and really never have to buy another one.  I pulled the original filter out, and it was dirty, but true be told, I've seen worse.  I installed the new AEM filter, I fueled up and off to work I go.  Instantly I'm seeing 24 mpg running 73-75mph.  So.. fast forward 3 days of travel and a couple local trips and my average is reporting 23.5 mpg!!! Same speed, same road, same trips.  Obviously I'm going to continue to watch it for a while but first impression shows a solid 1-2 mpg improvement.  

I'll keep you posted if anyone cares and report back my findings after a couple weeks and fill ups.

I have noticed this same thing.  I always try to keep a clean filter in my vehicles.  I have a 91 dakota that not only gets better mileage but idles smoother with a new clean air filter.  I change the filter every 6 months in my DJ.  Still runs like the day I brought it home.  I usually get 19-21 in town.  I live at almost 7000ft elevation so I think a dirty filter affects performance slightly more here.  Not sure.  

Peace.